Looking for simple backup solution.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Arron

Looking for simple backup solution.

Post by Arron »

I have 1 mint file server (samba) mint 5 xfce, 2 user laptops and another desktop system all with mint 6.

Im looking for a simple backup solution for the complete /home dir. I would like it to be automated, and hopefully lightweight and fast (user doesn't need to wait for ever to shutdown etc, my wife is *impatient*).

What I would like would be for more than one computer to use the same backup point ( if user on the laptop makes a file, then it is propagated to the desktop system). But I bet this is complicated and not really needed.

It would be *nice* to have a few months backup, in case of old files lost, but automated to clean the old backup after X months.

I have looked at several apps, Unison looks the nicest so far, but im looking for more input.

Would a command prompt only be best?
When would be the best time to run the script during log out or in, the file server is on 24/7, the others are not.
Will there be any problems when the laptops are not on the lan, I dont need a backup every day, but will there be a hangup it trying to connect?
Is samba ok to use, or should I use NFS? Is NFS simple, I have never tried it, no windows machines would use it anyhow.
Would it be easy to backup data to a second HD on the same file server in case of failure? (I have an old 80 gig laying around)

I would like to keep it as simple as possible, but do the trick nicely. If a HD ever crashes, just reinstall mint, and copy over /home and bingo its like it never happened.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kwisher

Re: Looking for simple backup solution.

Post by kwisher »

I have been using Back In Time and I think it will fill all your needs. I leave my systems on 24/7 and have them backup to my server once a week. I then backup the server to an external hard disk once a week. In your case since you do not leave your client systems on all the time, there is the option to manually backup. Or you can determine a time when the system is most likely to be on. I believe you could also automate this with a script at boot or shutdown. There is both a GUI and command line version for both Gnome and KDE.

Back In Time
http://backintime.le-web.org/

NFS How-To
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=249889

Hope this helps.

Return to “Beginner Questions”