My DVD drive cannot read original DVD that used to

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
titohal

My DVD drive cannot read original DVD that used to

Post by titohal »

Hi,
My problem is with original DVDs. Last time I tried to watch an original DVD in my computer -using Kaffeine 0.8.6- was just last week, and it worked ok. Now, when I insert the same DVD, it just doesn't detect. I mean, when I insert the DVD, the default mountpoint /media/cdrom0 is empty, and /dev/scd0 is empty too. Of course, Kaffeine does nothing.

I tried inserting the DVD in a DVD player and it worked, so the DVD is okay.

I tried inserting recorded DVDs in my drive, and it worked too, so the drive is okay.

I suppose it's a codec problem or something. But I have installed de libdvdcss package -in fact, MintUpdate upgraded it for me last Monday. Perhaps there's some problem with the upgrades. Last Monday, MintUpdate upgraded the following packages: fakeroot, acpid, libfreetype6, xulrunner-1.9, xulrunner-1.9-gnome-support, libdvdcss2.

I use LinuxMint 5 KDE version, with Kaffeine as default player. I tried with other players like Mplayer or Totem. It doesn't work either.

Can anyone help me please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: My DVD drive cannot read original DVD that used to

Post by Husse »

I'll look into it
But at least the disk should be detected even if it can't be played I think
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: My DVD drive cannot read original DVD that used to

Post by Pierre »

does the DvD automount? if not, can you mount it manually?.
so, therefore can kaffine see the DvD then ?.

I've 'mounting troubles before & couldn't play a <audio> disk.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Sound”