Firefox shortcut problem

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

Odd. Those keyboard shortcuts work okay for me with Firefox 2.0.0.3 and GNOME Bianca.

Does everything look kosher in your Bianca > Preferences > Keyboard setup?

All else failing, have you considered mouse gestures? I don't leave Home without them.

-------
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

Any way to re-enable the right Alt key?
It's possible to tweak your keyboard operation in specific and low-level ways, but I've only just begun to look at how that's done properly (i.e. without causing my X server to have fits).

For example, I found that the Firefox shortcuts did work with my lefthand ALT key (LALT), but did not with my righthand ALT key (RALT), so I had the opposite of your situation. This had no practical impact on my use of the keyboard (as I don't normally use RALT), but I went snooping into the keyboard configuration section of my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and found the following...

Option "XkbOptions" "lv3:ralt_switch"

That code meddles with my RALT key in a way that's meaningless to me, so I disabled that option (I put a # at the start of the line), and now my RALT key works as expected. A fix for your glitch might be as simple.

I've taken a quick peek at various config files in GNOME Bianca, and I see keyboard definitions that are specific to Sony and others, but I don't yet know how those might be applied.

Just a matter of time til this Linux n00b susses it out, though. ;-)

-------
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

For folk who have this same glitch and need a step-by-step HOWTO undo...

To edit the xorg.conf file in superuser mode, go Terminal and type...

Code: Select all

gksu gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
(KDE users may need to type sudo kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf instead).

Do a CTRL-F and search for "ralt_switch". If you find code that looks like what's in my previous post, then comment-out the option by putting a # at the start of the text line. Like so...

Code: Select all

#    Option "XkbOptions" "lv3:ralt_switch"
Then save the file, close gedit (or kate) and all of your other open apps, and restart your PC so that the change in configuration can take effect cleanly.

UPDATE: I booted the Bianca KDE Beta 020 LiveCD and found it has the same problem, and that the fix described here works.

-------
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

Actually, that's the same situation. Left Alt works, right one doesn't.
This might be the time for fessing-up about my living in the Mirror Universe...

------
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

You're welcome. ;-)

------

Return to “Software & Applications”