Strange video artifacts

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Strange video artifacts

Post by Husse »

You have to tell us some more facts.
The minimum is exactly which Mint you have - which version and which edition (main or any of the CEs)
We also need to know a bit about all your hardware.
Run " lspci " in a terminal and post here - would be nice to know the rest
Also tell us if this is using mint4win or not, quite important
I don 't recognize Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE] - seems to be from about 2004
With the newest drivers from ATI you need to use some legacy driver - only the newest cards are supported in the "normal" driver
Which driver do you use?
Please post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf
I have seen such dots as you write caused by overclocking, overheating, or faulty memory and god knows what - they just appeared (have sold computer hardware) The part about the VNC client is really odd
To be sure - a client on this computer?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Here it is I who need help :)
I don't know much about VNC and have never used it - no need. But it is one of may things I would like to experiment with if I had more time
I often start out with the standard answer you got above to get a better understanding - or any understanding at all - of the situation
But in this case I now realize that this is really odd as you see the dotted lines in a remote VNC
I doubt that VNC uses the local video system in which case this is really confusing
I hope to get some help here and as I understand that it works OK I hope you can wait a bit till I get help :)
miket

Post by miket »

Hi !

This is almost certainly a video driver problem, try using the mesa driver instead of the ATI driver.

MikeT.

Return to “Hardware Support”