Update on Browser/Email Client in KDE vs Firefox/Thunderbird

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

Update on Browser/Email Client in KDE vs Firefox/Thunderbird

Post by Meteor »

Quote: " Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:18 pm
I've just located this thread as I'm looking at installing KDE CE just because it's "new". I've tried Felicia's KDE LiveDVD release and i'm intrigued.

This thread has provided a vast variety of opinions with FF and TB staying slightly in the lead. Myself, I've never had much experience with the KDE browser and mail program as they've never been at the forefront. After quickly reading through this thread, I'm going to download Felicia KDE CE, install and work with Kontact and ?? (forgotten the other program's name...). It'll take some work to get my bookmarks (or whatever the designation is for KDE) and email address list set up again, but I'm up to a challenge.

On a very early spring day here in the north of Canada, this will be an interesting exercise. I see that it'll take me over two hours to download Felicia and as I am off to work now that'll be done later this afternoon or in the early evening.

I shall eventually report back, if there's an interest... I shall offer my vote for the default programs then, too."

=======================================================

If I knew how to link the above so y'all could just click on it, I would have done so but that is a foreign item for me... Neverthe less, to report back on my experience with KDE CE, I found it very, very slow. It seemed to take forever to load and do things but that could be my system -- a five year old Gateway "64-bit Powerhouse" laptop with 2GB of RAM and a 80 GB hard drive. I played with the KDE desktop for a while and, while it was certainly impressive, it seemed that I was waiting for it to really do what I requested it to do.

I realize that KDE is massive (especially when compared to Xfce (that's back on my system now) plus the "age" of my system, I may just be too old to run KDE in the manner that I would like it to run. So, sorry, but it's Xfce for me and my flavour of Xfce is Mint.

I looked at the browser and email clients in KDE and wasn't that impressed. After using Firefox and Thunderbird for a few years, I guess I'm just too use to them...

This was an interesting exercise (along with a large learning curve for me as KDE 4 is quite different) but I enjoyed the challenge.

If you wish to read the original thread for this comment, just search KDE for "Remove Firefox, Replace Thunderbird with Kontact in Mint KDE 6". If you have a faster machine and/or a love for KDE, your results/feelings may not agree with mine.

Enjoy whatever version of Mint you use,
Meteor
Linux Mint XFCE CE 6 Felicia
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Update on Browser/Email Client in KDE vs Firefox/Thunderbird

Post by Husse »

I don't think your laptop is too old for the KDE CE - you have 2 GB RAM and that's way more than needed and the most important thing to have
KDE is I think more bloated, but not to that extent
Could be that it does not like your specific hardware though - or actually a bad DVD even if you managed to install even if it is not very likely
Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Update on Browser/Email Client in KDE vs Firefox/Thunderbird

Post by Meteor »

Husse wrote:I don't think your laptop is too old for the KDE CE - you have 2 GB RAM and that's way more than needed and the most important thing to have
KDE is I think more bloated, but not to that extent
Could be that it does not like your specific hardware though - or actually a bad DVD even if you managed to install even if it is not very likely
Thanks, Husse, I'm sure that my laptop feels better knowing that it's not ready to be retired, yet. I'm not sure of the exact hardware in my system other than from the labels that are stuck all over it. It's an AMD Turion64 with an ATI Radeon Express graphics card/chip of 200M (whatever that is...). My RAM was a typo. It's an amazing 1 GB, not 2 but while using Mint, still works many times better than with the original XP that came with it. XP was replaced by Mint 3 or 4 --don't recall exactly when...

It could be that I'm not a real KDE fan though I like some of the programs that are included. I use Mint XFCE CE Felicia right now and she works very well with me. I was actually curious about KDE 4 but don't think I'll change. I'm now awaiting Gloria's arrival dressed in Xfce and look forward to working with her.

Meteor

Return to “Software & Applications”