partition manager options

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fwc

Re: partition manager options

Post by fwc »

If I remember correctly there is way to select a partition and still have it "guided" but if you don't see any obvious choice like this than just do manual. It isn't much different and you should find the second partition in the partition list after selecting manual.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

Try:

1. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9922 (It's a listed sticky posting in the installation forum here).
2. Either by using the LiveCD partition manager or by getting a copy of GParted Live (recommended) shrink your Vista partition down and create your necessary partitions for Mint. Then do the "manual" method when doing the install. Note there are a number of steps that should be taken as part of this prep process.
3. Search these boards for phrases like partition set up, manual partitioning etc.

-DataMan
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

This is based solely on my own experiences with other peoples setups and what I've read about Vista Ultimate in particular.

(1) Do not use gparted or any other linux based partition manager to resize the Vista partition. Use the built in Vista utility instead.

(2) Do not allow Linux to install grub into the master boot record. In the Mint install process:
PARTITION > Manual > Step 7 > Advanced > Bootloader you want to put grub into the partition you installed Mint into. For example if WinVista is in sda1 and Mint in in sda2, put Mint's grub into sda2 not in the MBR. You'll then have to install EasyBCD ( http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1 ) into Vista and use that to setup Vista's native bootloader to boot Mint.

The reason for step 2 has to do with Vista Ultimate in particular. The last service pack when applied to Vista Ultimate makes changes to the MBR itself. If it can't find the Vista MBR the service pack update will fail. Future Service Packs may do the same thing.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
fwc

Post by fwc »

altair4 wrote:This is based solely on my own experiences with other peoples setups and what I've read about Vista Ultimate in particular.

(1) Do not use gparted or any other linux based partition manager to resize the Vista partition. Use the built in Vista utility instead.

(2) Do not allow Linux to install grub into the master boot record. In the Mint install process:
PARTITION > Manual > Step 7 > Advanced > Bootloader you want to put grub into the partition you installed Mint into. For example if WinVista is in sda1 and Mint in in sda2, put Mint's grub into sda2 not in the MBR. You'll then have to install EasyBCD ( http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1 ) into Vista and use that to setup Vista's native bootloader to boot Mint.

The reason for step 2 has to do with Vista Ultimate in particular. The last service pack when applied to Vista Ultimate makes changes to the MBR itself. If it can't find the Vista MBR the service pack update will fail. Future Service Packs may do the same thing.
Do you know if its going to be the same with win7? I want to make sure I know how to get GRUB back up and running after I install the RC of win7.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I don't know anything about Win7 and the caution above is only for Vista Ultimate but Microsoft seems to now go out of its way to make dual booting as problematic as possible. I think that EasyBCD is the answer ( at least for the time being ). But I don't know if there is a version of EasyBCD for Win7.

Assuming Win7 doesn't have a service pack issue with the MBR like Vista ultimate does you can always rebuild grub following the procedure like this one:
DataMan wrote:I think the original poster was talking about an install vs a LiveCD.

It's really quite simple to restore your Mint menu.lst.

1. You need to know what the partition is that Mint resides on (sda2,3, 4 or whatever).
2. Boot to any Linux (even Ubuntu).
3. Initiate the terminal mode.
4. $sudo grub.
5. Assuming your Mint is on sda4 and your mbr is on hd0 : grub > root (hd0,3)
6. grub > setup (hd0)
7. Exit and re-boot.

DataMan
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Beginner Questions”