OpenOffice 2.2 in Bianca KDE Edition and screen resolution

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dswaim91
Level 1
Level 1

OpenOffice 2.2 in Bianca KDE Edition and screen resolution

Post by dswaim91 »

From my use of Linux Mint thus far, I have been nothing but pleased with only one exception; the GNOME desktop. I was delighted to try the second beta of the KDE version when it became available (the first beta wouldn't work correctly). My gripes with it are few but important, at least in my opinion.

The first one is minor. Do I to manually go into a terminal and sudo the control center so that I can adjust my screen resolution? I had to do this in the GNOME version as well and in the nVidia settings to make the change permanent. How do I do that through the KDE Control Center? Can I use envy to install 3-D drivers?

My second gripe is major if a desktop is to be productive for the average user. I have seen Linux Mint as a "best of breed" type distribution. Amarok, as well as other KDE programs are included to make for a more useful and enjoyable desktop experience. If this is the case, then why isn't OpenOffice included as the default productivity suite? It is because it does not integrate as well into the KDE desktop? My only complaint with OpenOffice in KDE is its horrible print support. This problem has been solved by only one distro to date; Xandros 4.0. When I went to print a document in OpenOffice, I didn't have to go through its print manager. My document was automatically routed to the superior print manager, Kprint. This allowed me more options in printing, specifically the number of pages per sheet. I often use this feature to shrink two pages of portrait text and print them on a single page positioned in a landscape orientation.

By the way, I did use adept to download OpenOffice 2.1 and install it on beta 022, but links were not automatically added to my menu. Ugh!!

I don't want to start a Koffice vs. OOo debate with this suggestion. Maybe both could be made more readily available with better print support for OOo.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Install openoffice.org-debian-menus and openoffice.org-kde-integration to get OO in the menus.

Clem
dswaim91
Level 1
Level 1

Edting OpenOffice 2.1 config file to print with kprint

Post by dswaim91 »

I cannot remember how to or what file to edit so that OpenOffice opens up the kprint manager to allow better and more options for printing. Does anybody know it? I have had to do this with the distros I have tried except Xandros 4.0, which executed the function by default.
dswaim91
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Edting OpenOffice 2.1 config file to print with kprint

Post by dswaim91 »

To be honest, editing the config file in OpenOffice to default to kprint is something that all KDE based distributions should do to make printing easier and allow more printing options. The default OpenOffice print manager very limited in its options. In other words, it sucks. LOL
yahmed

Re: OpenOffice 2.2 in Bianca KDE Edition and screen resoluti

Post by yahmed »

Not sure if this is the right place but i am having some printing issue , I received a printed table throw with colors very sharp and vibrant but i am unable to get the same result on my VUTEK printer on linux . The supplier I've used uses CMYK color mode , all the step are done according to their art work specs but i am not sure why i am unable to get the same result as their . the product specs are available here http://www.vividads.com.au/table-throw.htm .

Return to “Non-technical Questions”