Upgrading Ubuntu to Mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ebaut

Upgrading Ubuntu to Mint

Post by ebaut »

Hello everyone :)

windows XP on my desktop computer totally crashed, so I decide to "begin a life with a blank sheet" :)
And I have only one linux CD with ubuntu 8.10
how can I upgrade this ubuntu to Mint? :?
maybe I need to add something to the sources.list?
F1 :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
emorrp1

Re: Upgrading Ubuntu to Mint

Post by emorrp1 »

Hi, If you want ubuntu, you should install ubuntu, if you want mint you should install mint directly from it's own install CD. If you can't download and burn the Mint CD at all, then I'd recommend doing a quick install of ubuntu, just enough to allow you do so. Then you can simply install Mint over the ubuntu install. Since the install process only tends to take around about 15 mins, it's well worth it to get the full Mint experience. Depending on your internet connection, you could be all done in an hour, which is less than half the time it takes with XP!

But, if you really insist, I've detailed this process for ubuntu 9.04 jaunty (the steps are the same, but the details may be different for intrepid/felicia) here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=152&t=25138
lexon

Post by lexon »

Just download and burn an ISO for MInt 6. I used the Main Edition. I had Ubuntu 8.04 and just installed Mint rigth over it.

Notice, I said install, not upgrade. Ubuntu was wiped out. It did not take very long and I am not a techie type. I just made notes before of what I liked in Ubuntu.

Good luck.

lexon
raveyd

Post by raveyd »

Ubuntu and Mint are not the same thing, although Mint is based on Ubuntu and many things are similar / identical. The software packages are compatible too which is very good.

Mint is kind of like Ubuntu but with some additional plug-ins, codecs, other stuff added on top. And it looks much nicer (in my opinion).

So - you cannot "upgrade" from Ubuntu to Mint, but arguably if you started with ubuntu and installed all the extra stuff that Mint has on top of Ubuntu, and beautified it a lot, you would end up with something fairly similar.

Your best bet is to download and install mint. :D
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

raveyd wrote:Ubuntu and Mint are not the same thing....

Mint is kind of like Ubuntu ....
I see conflicting sentences here... :P
raveyd

Post by raveyd »

Yes I wholeheartedly nearly agree to disagree. :D
lexon

Post by lexon »

dlkreations wrote:

Not conflicting at all. Mint 6 is based on Ubuntu 8.10.

lexon
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

lexon wrote:
dlkreations wrote:

Not conflicting at all. Mint 6 is based on Ubuntu 8.10.

lexon
Uhh.... thanks for the tip... I know this.

It's called sarcasm. Read it again.
lexon

Post by lexon »

Yes, I know. Could not help it.

lexon

Return to “Beginner Questions”