Linux Mint 7 RC1 Bug Thread

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 7 RC1 Bug Thread

Post by clem »

This thread is dedicated to bug reports on Linux Mint 7 Gloria RC1. Please report bugs here and include necessary steps to reproduce the problems you describe.

Clem.
kwisher

Re: Linux Mint 7 RC1 Bug Thread

Post by kwisher »

When right-clicking on a file in Nautilus and selecting the "send-to" option, Evolution is listed as the email client instead of Thunderbird.

Note: How can I correct this until it is fixed in the final?
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

Might be to do with the theme, but I added a new toolbar and tried adding application launchers to it and I thought they weren't going on. Turns out they are, but they're invisible. Quite annoying and needs to be fixed.

EDIT: just checked, it is to do with the theme, it only happens on the shiki-mint theme.

Another thing, inxi, while nice, has some presentation faults. On the default terminal screen, the light grey text is hard to read. Also, it may look better and easier to read if the info was separated into lines, i.e:

Code: Select all

CPU[-Quad core Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 (SMP) clocked at 2003.000 Mhz-] 
Kernel[-2.6.28-11-generic i686-] 
Up[-23 min-] 
Mem[-351.8/3276.7MB-] 
HDD[-1000.2GB(12.4% used)-] 
Procs[-155-] 
Client[-Shell-] 
inxi[-1.0.6-]
ayonkhan

Post by ayonkhan »

I want Linux Mint to fix the network manager bug (not sure but I guess it is a bug).

Some related posts:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1144666
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1147360
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/355826
Last edited by ayonkhan on Fri May 08, 2009 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

I've also noticed that mintInstall hangs for a reasonable amount of time while downloading the screenshot. Perhaps make it like synaptic, where you only download the screenshot if you want to?
tawan

Post by tawan »

EDIT: No big deal I can change it in the Mint Menu Preferences
briansers wrote:Looks good so far. The Mint Menu hotkey conflicts with super-space for starting Gnome Do.
Good point. Plus I like to set a number of shortcuts with "Super key + letter" to do things so maybe have the "Super key + letter" to launch the menu too. With it this way (tho nice) it owns the Super key and nothing else can be assigned a "Super + letter" shortcut.

No bugs so far, trying to find. I suspect the theme will be the biggest cause but it looks great :D
-iceblade^

Post by -iceblade^ »

i have not been able to use it properly

the first option on the disc - run Mint only drops me off at a console instead of launching GNOME, etc.. i tried installing using the 'use installer only' option but when rebooting after a successful install i got an 'error - cannot mount selected partition'. the same thing happened when i restarted, wiped the old install, and then used compatibility mode (which this time launched GNOME, etc)

and yes i burnt the disc at the slowest speed and checked it for errors before proceeding to install.

that said, the RC looks terrific! great work guys :D
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Ok, so here's my take on it. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, or if it's specific to my computer:

1) when booting the live CD, it flickers through several login stages. It briefly shows a mint@mint command prompt, then it also shows gdm for about 5 seconds (long enough that I wondered if I was meant to login).
2) the new usplash theme looks VERY professional, it's gorgeous, as is the new gdm (but I don't like that it hides the mint logo (though this was raised in another thread)
3) personally, I don't like dark themes, but the one labelled Linux Mint is very nice.
4) flash works better than ever, it no longer wams my cpu usage up to 100%
5) did I mention how professional it looks :D

EDIT: yep, I also remember noticing the ubuntu start-up music (only on live CD, not after install) as gus points out below.
Last edited by emorrp1 on Tue May 05, 2009 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

emorrp1 wrote: 2) the new usplash theme looks VERY professional, it's gorgeous, as is the new gdm (but I don't like that it hides the mint logo (though this was raised in another thread)
Indeed this has. I will be working on this tonight when I get home from work, and post it in the appropriate thread to see if Zwopper, Clem, Exploder and the rest of the team find it to their liking.
alexxx24887

Post by alexxx24887 »

Notifications appear at the top right, shouldn't they appear on the right bottom?

The keyboard shortcut option in mintmenu does not work, it's not possible to assign any other key or to remove the key assignment to Super_L, even if the field is empty

There is no option to maximize mintupdate and same situation with mininstall like Old Marcus has. (make it like synaptic would be a good option to speedup mintinstall)
Old Marcus wrote:I've also noticed that mintInstall hangs for a reasonable amount of time while downloading the screenshot. Perhaps make it like synaptic, where you only download the screenshot if you want to?
btw: greet job with Mint 7, congrats :D
floweringmind
Level 2
Level 2

Big Bugs

Post by floweringmind »

BUGS
1. Partition manager won't come up, it just grinds and grinds. I got around this by mounting my NTFS drives and preventing them from being unmounted during install.
This bug is an Ubuntu bug, I believe with Vista formated hard drives.

2. The system will randomly lock up forcing me to reboot. This is after all updates.
This is caused by the Nvidia driver 180.44, upgrade to 180.51
Last edited by floweringmind on Tue May 05, 2009 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tricoche

Post by Tricoche »

Stuck on splash screen for 90 seconds and the CPU got very hot ( 70 degrees ) but finally boot ... Any ideas ?
Last edited by Tricoche on Wed May 06, 2009 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ayonkhan

Post by ayonkhan »

alexxx24887 wrote:Notifications appear at the top right, shouldn't they appear on the right bottom?
Good point.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Hi, tdapple, they're both known issues with mintUpload, and are being worked on.

1) you won't find it in the menu, as it acts on files, not as a stand-alone app. Thus right-click on the required file and select "Upload" to start it up. We are considering enabling mintUpload to be launched stand-alone, then to use a file-selector. This feature *definitely* won't make it in time for the release.

2) This has actually been fixed in the community development version, though the fix probably won't make it into the main in time for the release. The problem again is that you're trying to run this alone. The correct syntax for the command-line (which appears as help in the newer version) is:

mintupload /path/to/file
see also:
issue 1) http://github.com/emorrp1/mintupload/issues#issue/1
the development wiki (aka todo list): http://wiki.github.com/emorrp1/mintupload

EDIT: also I think the notifications should stay in the top right where they are.
tawan

Post by tawan »

I did all updates including level3 so hopefully I did not cause this...

With the default look and compiz settings I have this bug

"the bottom panel is configured to show only windows on the current desktop, and that generally works - except that it shows "Buddy list" window on all desktops, not just the one where buddy list actually is."
tawan

Post by tawan »

Possible bug, possible feature?

At least two of us have found we can click on MintUpdate and it just opens, no password request.
miket

Post by miket »

Hi,

INXI is a tool that was designed for aiding support in the IRC channel, since it works perfectly in the IRC channel it would be better *not*
to change it to work in the terminal as this wasn't it's original function.

Mike.

Ps: Clem thanks for including it !
Old Marcus wrote:Might be to do with the theme, but I added a new toolbar and tried adding application launchers to it and I thought they weren't going on. Turns out they are, but they're invisible. Quite annoying and needs to be fixed.

EDIT: just checked, it is to do with the theme, it only happens on the shiki-mint theme.

Another thing, inxi, while nice, has some presentation faults. On the default terminal screen, the light grey text is hard to read. Also, it may look better and easier to read if the info was separated into lines, i.e:

CPU[-Quad core Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 (SMP) clocked at 2003.000 Mhz-] 
Kernel[-2.6.28-11-generic i686-] 
Up[-23 min-] 
Mem[-351.8/3276.7MB-] 
HDD[-1000.2GB(12.4% used)-] 
Procs[-155-] 
Client[-Shell-] 
inxi[-1.0.6-]
willxtreme

Post by willxtreme »

Appearance Preferences > Theme > Customize > Pointer

When you pick a new set of mouse pointers, it doesn't change automatically like in Felicia. You have to reboot your pc...
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

tawan wrote:Possible bug, possible feature?

At least two of us have found we can click on MintUpdate and it just opens, no password request.
Could be because it uses gksudo, which gives you root access for 15 minutes before you have to enter your password again.
willxtreme

Post by willxtreme »

No more sound after you suspend (or hibernate)
Last edited by willxtreme on Thu May 07, 2009 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”