Gloria wallpaper

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dlkreations

Re: Gloria wallpaper

Post by dlkreations »

Yes there are both. Just need a place to send them.

By the way, DLKreations is just my handle. People can call me Don.
pluraldave

Post by pluraldave »

dlkreations wrote:Somehow though, I think that something needs to be changed, it doesn't look right. Could be the green part where you input your name and password or something.
I assume it's mostly one big image? Try making the green part slightly transparent to see if it "sits" better. I made/borrowed/robbed a quite similar lockscreen that needed the same trick.

Also perhaps the mint logo is too dominant. It might look better if it was smaller and/or in a slightly different position. (Or perhaps use the "normal" logo with the name instead?)
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

No it's not one big image. There are seven different parts to it that make up the whole. Frankly I think that text box is too dominant, and takes away from the theme altogether. To me it sticks out like a sore thumb. Either more transparent like you suggested, or a darker color like the surrounding main box would look good. I am however just changing what I was asked, because the others get the final say.
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

To show you what I mean, here is one with a more transparent text box.... don't mind the logo in the background though. It doesn't look like that when at the login screen:

sarahmarienc

Post by sarahmarienc »

dlkreations wrote:To show you what I mean, here is one with a more transparent text box.... don't mind the logo in the background though. It doesn't look like that when at the login screen:

Don,

I do think you are right that the text box needs something. It does look better transparent but I still think it could be better. This is exciting though :) Look forward to seeing the final version in Mint 7
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

sarahmarienc wrote:
Don,

I do think you are right that the text box needs something. It does look better transparent but I still think it could be better. This is exciting though :) Look forward to seeing the final version in Mint 7
Yes, I think so too. It's just not what I would like to see as the default GDM. This is in no way attacking Zwoppers artwork, it's just the rest of it that's the problem.

I have been working on one myself, that is minimal, but works (at least for me). Here is the link: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 57#p148357
vlovjz

Post by vlovjz »

Your buttons fit much better.
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

Yeah, your buttons are much better.
Also the text box, as you say, stands out too much; it's thick, big, and in a different green than the background. I would opt for something more slick, less intrusive.
pluraldave

Post by pluraldave »

I think the main problem is that while Zwopper's Mint Dew wallpaper looks great as a wallpaper it doesn't quite work as a GDM. Also I don't like the fact that the main background and the "login box" have the same background. IMO either have one large background with the login parts on it (like the LM6 one) or clearly differentiate them.

In fact what about something like this?

I'm not even sure if I like the Dew background left as green...
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

I like pluraldave's interpretation... What if the dark background from the old wallpaper was replaced with the transparent drops layer from the Zwopper's wallpaper on plain black or dark gray background... keeping the dark text entry box.

Pluraldave, if you can upload your source file, I can do what I'm saying... a picture is worth a thousand words.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

shane - That sounds like a great idea.
I like pluraldaves work as well, but with your ideas it should be even better.
You can even put a couple of backlights in a diamond shape behind the box.
Kind of the lights that are behind "the block" in this wallpaper if you see what I mean.
Good thinking shane! 8)
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
pluraldave

Post by pluraldave »

shane wrote:I like pluraldave's interpretation... What if the dark background from the old wallpaper was replaced with the transparent drops layer from the Zwopper's wallpaper on plain black or dark gray background... keeping the dark text entry box.

Pluraldave, if you can upload your source file, I can do what I'm saying... a picture is worth a thousand words.
I think I know what you want but here's the "source" (5 minute GIMP edit of Don's .png) for you.

http://files.mint-space.com/getfile,200 ... d.xcf.html

It should be pretty easy to swap the central part, just cover up the bottom layer with whichever background you want.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

shane wrote:Something like this...

The source: http://files.mint-space.com/getfile,200 ... d.xcf.html
REALLY nice! :D
The only thing would wanna change is the icon in the top left of the box, a small mint logo(green or b/w) here would look much better imo. :oops:
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

Wow, I like Dave's and Shane's version quite a bit. Nice work guys!
pluraldave

Post by pluraldave »

Very nice. Of course the other way to go about it would be to keep the "box" green and remove the colour from the background.

i.e. (with the wrong green but never mind for proof of concept)

Source: http://files.mint-space.com/getfile,200 ... 2.xcf.html

Also Zwopper do you have the source file for the mint logo used on the wallpaper? The separation between the two background greens isn't quite right, it should be a sort of "backwards S" shape from the stem of the leaf to the tip.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

The official logo is here: http://www.linuxmint-art.org/content/sh ... tent=90356

I like the inverted gray scaling!
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

shane wrote:
I like the inverted gray scaling!
As do I. That is awesome looking.
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

I'm loving these GDM's, I definitely like the one using the default mint 6 wallpaper behind the login box and also the one with the mono colour wallpaper behind the login box again :D
sarahmarienc

Post by sarahmarienc »

pluraldave wrote:Very nice. Of course the other way to go about it would be to keep the "box" green and remove the colour from the background.

i.e. (with the wrong green but never mind for proof of concept)

Source: http://files.mint-space.com/getfile,200 ... 2.xcf.html

Also Zwopper do you have the source file for the mint logo used on the wallpaper? The separation between the two background greens isn't quite right, it should be a sort of "backwards S" shape from the stem of the leaf to the tip.
THIS LOOKS GREAT!! I think it would be MY choice if I were deciding. The opposite effect with the green wallpaper and grey login is good but I think it's much sharper this way. I agree with Zwopper on that upper left corner icon though. But otherwise it's going to be awesome once the green and the icon are fixed. Wow guys!

Return to “Your Artwork”