Screen dims when opening VLC and other applications [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nebcanuck

Screen dims when opening VLC and other applications [SOLVED]

Post by nebcanuck »

Pretty simple problem, I would think, but haven't seen an answer yet.

When I open VLC, ltris, lbreakout2, Frozen Bubble, and a number of other applications the screen brightness dims considerably. I can fix this by unplugging my computer and plugging it back in, or by opening the preferences to power manager, but those are really aggravating to repeat every time you open common applications.

I'm running the RC to Linux Mint Gloria, and pretty much everything else is perfect! I'm using a Lenovo SL400 with an Intel graphics chip. The brightness controls don't work well under Linux, and haven't since I got the computer. They've been improving, but to date the only distribution which works well with my computer's brightness is Fedora. But in general it's not an issue until I run into something like this issue with VLC, where I'm not able to turn up the brightness except through workarounds!

Hoping the solution's pretty simple! Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Screen dims when opening VLC and other applications

Post by Husse »

This may be part of the Intel regression in recent kernel or drivers
I find you are not alone but I fail to find a solution.... (apart from the one you already have found)
nebcanuck

Re: Screen dims when opening VLC and other applications

Post by nebcanuck »

Found a solution, albeit a temporary one, at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/273685:
just add the line

Option "DPMS" "false"

in the monitor section of your xorg.conf. It works!
Works for me. Hopefully will not matter once Intel problems get worked out.

Return to “Software & Applications”