Should I install Mint 7 with external HD mounted?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wyldekey
Level 3
Level 3

Should I install Mint 7 with external HD mounted?

Post by wyldekey »

I am now using Ubuntu 8.10. I would like to install Mint 7 and am just wondering if it makes any difference if my external HD (where backup of /home resides) is mounted or should I unmount it while doing the installation? I didn't have the external drive when I installed Ubuntu last September, and that was my first experience with Linux.
Right now when I run Mint 7 from the live CD the 2 partitions on the external HD are mounted no problem. I'm assuming if I install with the drive connected that I'll have no trouble copying /home from Ubuntu to the new Mint (I'm going to create a separate partition on internal HD for /home).
I'm just a little nervous about destroying everything on the internal drive and starting over!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
We're inevitably imprisoned by what we believe.
emorrp1

Re: Should I install Mint 7 with external HD mounted?

Post by emorrp1 »

no worries, either way will work fine. I'd say it's generally safer to install without it, as it's easier to automount. I've had problems in the past when my computer expected the drive to be there on bootup, and I'd forgotten to turn the power on, so it failed to boot. There are ways to make it work if you want, but if you don't, just stay away from it during install, reboot then plug it in, it should be autodetected, and you should copy your files no problemo.
wyldekey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wyldekey »

Thanks! That makes me feel better.
Does anyone know yet when the final release of Gloria will be?
We're inevitably imprisoned by what we believe.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

lol, I just said - "when it's ready". Seriously, Clem will let us know on the blog as soon as it's officially released.

Return to “Installation & Boot”