busybox initramfs problem

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wricotmw

busybox initramfs problem

Post by wricotmw »

I have been running Mint on a laptop for a while and think it is superb! I installed it on a pc (AMD Athlon - gigabyte m/b) great! I have upgraded the pc to an AMD Athlon 64 x2 on an MSI motherboard and cannot load either Mint or Ubuntu. They stop at the initramfs prompt. I have tried nolapic noapic but no difference. Help appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: busybox initramfs problem

Post by Husse »

So you have changed hardware and want to use the already installed Mint
It should work OK - the only thing necessary (?) is to change to Driver "vesa" in xorg.conf
Can you boot the live CD with the new hardware?
wricotmw

Post by wricotmw »

I have removed the old system from the hard drive and want to do a new install. The new hardware is ok as I have loaded xp successfully on it. If I boot from the Mint (or Ubuntu) CD I can't get past the initramfs point. I am using an IDE hard disk and have tried loading with pci=noacpi but no success. How do I get past the error?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Ok - possibly a stupid question as you have tried pci=noacpi but have you tried Compatibility mode?
wricotmw

Post by wricotmw »

I have just spent an hkur reading about compatibility mode but can't find out how to do it! I have tried safe mode - no diffrent. Am currently downloading 64 bit V6 as someone seemed to say that was ok on his machine. Sorry if I am being thick but how do I load in compatibility mode?
Husse

Post by Husse »

How old is the Mint you try to install?
With Elyssa or possibly Daryna Safe mode was replaced by Compatibility mode - you find that by pressing any key while the live CD counts down
wricotmw

Post by wricotmw »

I was using Daryna but now I have loaded the CD for V6 64 Bit and this is what I am using to send this. I noticed the different boot process. This is quick ! Makes the upgrade worthwhile. Now I will install it and see what I can do with it.

Thanks for the help it is much appreciated!

Return to “Installation & Boot”