Kubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) Alpha 1 argggg what a bad start

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
willxtreme

Kubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) Alpha 1 argggg what a bad start

Post by willxtreme »

I downloaded Kubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) Alpha 1 yesterday when I heard it came out, burned it on a cd, popped it in my pc to install it in VirtualBox.
When I finally get on my desktop, I open Konqueror and the browser crashes when I try to open a site like youtube. I didn't bother installing firefox. I just got pissed
and gave the final smack to Kubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) Alpha 1. :twisted:

I can't wait for Gloria's stable release (I believe we're 19 bugs away from it according to Linux Mint on twitter) :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
willxtreme

Re: Kubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) Alpha 1 argggg what a bad start

Post by willxtreme »

Yay 10 bugs away! according to http://twitter.com/Linux_Mint. I have a feeling Gloria's stable version is coming out this weekend :D
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

Couldn't the crash have something to do with the restricted extras not being installed? To be honest, I'm not sure but it is alpha after all. Ubuntu is suppose to have a live cd ready for the next alpha release.
willxtreme

Post by willxtreme »

I couldn't open linuxmint.com as well (which doesn't use flash or anything fancy)

The image I burned wasn't a live CD but an alternate install CD that I got from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/relea ... c/alpha-1/
trident

Post by trident »

Could it not be Konqueror that's the problem? I found I couldn't log in to Hotmail when I tried out Kubuntu (which is no longer an issue as I've switched to Gmail :D ) but switching to Firefox solved the problem.
willxtreme

Post by willxtreme »

Yeah it is Konqueror. Firefox is pretty solid but since KDE based distro love to throw Konqueror at us as the default browser, they should at least be sure that the browser "can run half of the marathon". Even Internet Explorer is giving the final smack to Konqueror in this case lol. :mrgreen:

There's a quote that says "A bad swordsman blames his sword/A bad worker blames his tools" but sometimes the "sword/tool" really sucks lol
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Kubuntu 9.10 is in the very early stages of development, frequent breakage is to be expected. When KDE 4.3 final comes out things should rapidly improve. There is still months of development left and in my opinion things will start to get more stable around alpha 5.
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

Never tested kubuntu karmic alpha 1 but alpha 2 looked great. The only problem was that it just wouldn't shut down properly from the live-cd. Another one that looked great was openSUSE 11.2 milestone 2 (alpha 2) but the milestone 3 (alpha 3) that came out last night just won't start the desktop at all.

Sometimes we forget that, as exploder said, these releases are in early stages of development. So anything can go wrong. The best to do is to wait for the Beta, RC or Final version before making any judgement and put a bad light on another distro, imho.
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

ikey wrote: Recomendation : install Daisy (google it :D )
Yeah, Daisy is a wonderful piece of software.

I also ran Karmic in a live session, and have to say that it is looking to be very sharp. I refuse to run it as my main OS since it is in an alpha stage, but I am looking forward to KDE 4.3. There are a couple bugs with it though when it comes to running GTK programs like Gimp and Firefox. For some reason, it takes a long time for it to retrieve files from Dolphin when I want to edit a graphic or upload something to Imageshack. Doesn't do that with 4.2.4

4.2.4 is running wonderfully on my system at the moment, and I have it just the way I like it.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

If you want something to look forward to in Kubuntu 9.10, watch the video found here.

http://www.techworld.com.au/blog/talkin ... version_43

KDE 4.3 will have more features and functionality!
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

People have a tendency to try new things, which is what has been done here. There is like some excitement in a new version of Ubuntu being released. I am sure it is the same with a new Windows version too.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I checked out a daily build recently in VirtualBox, 9.10 is coming along but it still has quite a ways to go before the final release. I was mainly interested in how KDE 4.3 was looking, still a few bugs left. The menu opens on shut down and restart and some other little things left to fix.

Return to “Chat about Linux”