Why do I get randomly redirected to websites?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lexon

Re: Why do I get randomly redirected to websites?

Post by lexon »

This is just a WAG. I went were I should have not gone to and got something I could not get rid of. It kept popping up. I would clear History and it was still there. I found out I had twelve items still in History even though I had cleared it. By default, Firefox retains twelve, 12, items in History.
Below is the fix I found.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From what I can tell it is not a real bug but a regression that's
part of a new feature RichResults. The browsing history does
not erase RichResults anymore. If you don't want RichResults
keep track of where you went, in Firefox you need to enter
about:config
and then scroll down to:
browser.urlbar.maxRichResults
and change the default. The default setting is 12 and if you
want nothing, you enter 0.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
May not be anything but you might think about it. I also have Firefox setup in Prefences to clear ALL data when I close out the browser.

lexon
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lexon

Post by lexon »

I seriously doubt it is cause by Mint. You must have done something that your are not revealing. I have been using Mint 6 & 7 and only had the one issue I mentioned. Ok, maybe the Rant helps you feel better.
I am a newbie.

lexon
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

Are you clicking around while this happens or just sitting there watching the video?

Ps. It is something you did or something with your system. It is not Mint.
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

RaiCoss wrote:Hi, that makes no difference whatsoever.I'm using the Gloria RC, and this is just dumb beyond belief. I get the horrible feeling the developers have added this in. Its like an out of the box virus. Anyway it's goodbye Linux Mint. I will NOT tolerate this kind of crap!
I believe that the 12 items that you are referring to are in fact your own bookmarks. If you ask Firefox to clear your history on exit, it will do just that, but if you look at your past history you will still find 12 items listed. They only appear if they are in your bookmarks.

Best regards Keith
markfiend

Post by markfiend »

RaiCoss wrote:it just seems to pick a word off a page and attempts to redirect you too http://www.theworditpicked.com.
I think you must be accidentally middle-clicking.
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi

It is NOT Mint please read:
Discussions > Bug Reports & Technical Issues > Random redirections to advertising sites while watching YouTube vids?

http://help.youtube.com/group/youtube-i ... 9a400969a3

Nick
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

I googled "random redirect" and found multiple scripts (java & php) that do exactly what you are experiencing.

Example: http://www.findmysoft.com/scripts/Rando ... nload.html

My guess, someone is getting paid (adverts, etc.) to use these scripts to randomly send visitors from their website, (or it can be added to a link in YouTube), to other advertisement filled websites.

Suggestion: Check the links of your bookmarks, do any have strange scripting on the end? Addons? Plugins?

Hope you can find an answer, regards, Richard
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Can you go to "Tools", "Addons". and list the plugins you have installed? That way we can start comparing differences.
Richard

ps: Do you have Mint installed on the harddrive? or in mint4win?
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

I've been doing a little research, but have only found Java Plugin bugs.
Your plugins look correct.
I notice that your "lock" is open (task bar), notifying you of updates available. Have you checked what updates are available? My kde6 install required just about a complete update of everything relating to firefox & java

regards, Richard

ps: have run the live Mint7 RC1 cd on my box, and cannot duplicate the problem???
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

What type of Internet connection are you using? Are you using a router?

I've been reading up on "DNS Spoofing", and maybe your Router has been infected! You can check by logging into the router, and check to make sure the DNS servers are set to your ISP's servers.

Richard
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Have you tried adding "Adblock Plus" to your Firefox add-ons? If this is some type of advertising WAG "Adblock Plus" might filter it out.

Also, check this thread. The original poster picked up a similsr problem on Firefox.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... nux+hacked
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Where did you get your Live disk from? Did you burn it yourself? On a Wind*** machine, or your other Linux pc?

"I've been reading up on "DNS Spoofing", and maybe your Router has been infected! You can check by logging into the router, and check to make sure the DNS servers are set to your ISP's servers."

Have you checked your DNS entries?
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

RaiCoss,

I have just been to the link you provided and put my cursor in the center of the page and used the mouse wheel to scroll down to the bottom of the page, reading as I went. I left the cursor at the bottom of the page and then used the mouse wheel to scroll to the top again. I repeated this several times.

At no time did it re-direct me.

Best regards Keith
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

If this is a Mint problem, I am 100% sure it is not intentional. That would simply be retarded. Did you do an md5sum check on the ISO? Please do report it in the RC1 bug thread. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=25408
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

RaiCoss,
Found this thread in the forums, dealing with YouTube & others.
Re: Problems with Youtube and others
by Ozz on Thu May 14, 2009 8:53 am
Hi I had the exact same problem, with youtube, Deezer etc... freezing after I changed tabs and navigated to something else, or just being slow and stuff

My solution to this (credit goes to Miket for this actually )

Type this in the Terminal to remove the non-free flashplugin

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get remove flashplugin-nonfree

Then this to install the Adobe Flash plugin

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin
They said that it worked for them. Might be something to try?

regards, Richard

Return to “Beginner Questions”