custom keyboard mapping

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hansencomputers
Level 3
Level 3

custom keyboard mapping

Post by hansencomputers »

Hi,
Is there a way to set up hot-keys in a custom manner? I have a Logitech S520 keyboard. As far as I can tell, it is not listed as a supported keyboard in "Keytouch" and/or "Keyboard" programs used for setting up keyboards.

If I click on "Keyboard Shortcuts" I see that it is easy to alter the pre-set shortcuts, but what I want (example Fn+F2 to launch Open Office Writer) is not possible. How do I overcome this limitation?

Mike
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: custom keyboard mapping

Post by proxima_centauri »

In the Compiz settings under Command you can preset up to 11 commands.

This can also be accessed in gconf-editor if not using compiz. From the configuration editor, Go to Apps -> Metacity; from here you can set up the global keybindings (key combo) and window keybindings (actually command).
hansencomputers
Level 3
Level 3

OK, I found this, but can you give me an example of how to set Open Office Writer to launch when, for example, I press "Alt+W"?

Do I need to enter something as a command0 ? I'm not sure how to proceed.

Mike
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

Yes, you need to issue the command0 to openup OpenOffice Writer which in this case is

Code: Select all

ooffice -writer
hansencomputers
Level 3
Level 3

OK, in general I think I have this sorted, except there is still a bit of a problem. My keyboard (Logitech S520) has a special "FN" key in blue, that is to be used for keys with additional blue text. For example, the F1 key also has the logo for MS WORD in blue. I want this key to be used to launch OO Writer. To do this, one holds down the blue FN key and presses F1 key.

When I try to assign this key combo for "Run Command 0", I get "XF86Battery" and a small pop-up notice that the system is running on AC Power.

I entered "ooffice -writer" as the command for "Command line 0", but I only get the AC power notice.

Is there a way around this issue?

I would like to launch OO Writer when I hold the special blue "FN" key and press F1.

Mike

Return to “Hardware Support”