Fn-Key`s on Samsung NC10

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Fn-Key`s on Samsung NC10

Post by Husse »

You don't tell us which edition you use but if it's main you set keyboard shortcuts in - well Keyboard shortcuts
If you want to add new keyboard shortcuts that's done in gconf-editor
I think this post describes the procedure well
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... or#p127997
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Well it does, but in fact it does not stop to do that, so i get in my console aaaaaaaaaaa.... until i press backspace to stop that.
That may explain why I have seen reports that brightness (I think it was brightness) goes all the way up or down with one keystroke and in some cases the laptop is locked and nothing more than a reboot is left
I tried to find a topic about this were I found some at least partial solution but I don't find it - I write so many posts that it is soon "deep down"
It may also be a kernel issue but I've honestly not (until now) met someone that has made such a deep analysis of the problem
Problems with Fn keys are unfortunately not too uncommon
The only thing I get from dmesg | grep key is " [ 4.809050] Fixing up Logitech keyboard report descriptor "
xev and events produce nothing and showkey results in " Couldnt get a file descriptor referring to the console " so I can't really test this
I am not sure but I think we managed to solve the problem with brightness goes all the way up or down with one keystroke
I think that was on one or more Dell laptops - on the other hand it may have been the almost locked keyboard problem that was solved
Husse

Post by Husse »

From man setkeycodes
The keycodes of X have nothing to do with those of Linux. Unusual keys
can be made visible under Linux, but not under X.
I interpret that as what you see in a "real terminal" (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and in X are two different things - there are two different sets - but I may be wrong
I saw this and yet I tried to use the gnome terminal for it.... :?
Furthermore (from the same source)
In 2.6 kernels raw mode, or scancode mode, is not very raw at all. The
code returned by showkey -s will change after use of setkeycodes. A
kernel bug. See also showkey(1).
This makes it rather complicated
Husse

Post by Husse »

It might be possible, but I think they are there already....

Return to “Hardware Support”