video will not play

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rifraf262

video will not play

Post by rifraf262 »

Hi,

I have had the elyssa distribution for a while and have had no problems with it. This all changed yesterday when for some reason no matter what program I try it will play sound but no visual. I get no errors on any of the programs so I am very confused where to start. The oddest thing is that I am able to view videos on youtube and google video etc.

Thanks,

Peter
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: video will not play

Post by Husse »

What videos don't play?
Any recent updates?
You have to tell us more facts.
The minimum is exactly which Mint you have - which version and which edition (main or any of the CEs)
We also need to know a bit about all your hardware.
Run " lspci " in a terminal and post here (to avoid misunderstanding - the first character is a minor L and you copy by marking with the mouse and then right click)
Some wifi and possibly built in sound can be connected to USB even if they are internal - if you suspect you have one of these run " lsusb " in a terminal.
This is a standard answer so it may not be fully applicable to your situation
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Did you update a gstreamer package? Look in "History" in Synaptic to find out if you did. At best you can use the history feature to figure out which update caused the issue and use the "force version" feature to downgrade the package to get the problem resolved. There was an issue with a gstreamer package, that would be the first thing I would look for.
Last edited by exploder on Sat May 16, 2009 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Husse

Post by Husse »

and use the "force version" feature to downgrade the package
My team mate thinks he writes for me :)
The "Force version" feature is found in Synaptic > Package > Force version
If you are lucky there is an older version to downgrade to - don't know if this is always the case
You are warned about broken dependencies - that is possible to fix if you know how
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

My team mate thinks he writes for me :)
Hey, just trying to help you out. :mrgreen:

Return to “Sound”