About to destroy my computer

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dlkreations

Re: About to destroy my computer

Post by dlkreations »

First of all, getting frustrated at Linux Mint because it won't run a Windows based program is actually quite funny. Secondly, you should look at the appropriate site for issues with Wine and World of Warcraft: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=14154

Mint has nothing to do whatsoever with Wine, or any Windows programs. This isn't an issue with Mint, and shouldn't degrade your use or enjoyment of it.

Good luck.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

Snuffeloffagus wrote:
Not to be an ass...
Well you succeeded.

You come here for help, someone answers, and you go off being very rude. You're princess about pulling your hair out... now that's real mature.

For one thing, you failed to post what version of Mint you're using, and you also failed to post any hardware specs for your system. I was giving you a link to the appropriate website where you should be looking for the answers first and foremost.

If you want to play a Windows game, then stick with Windows.

So go cry somewhere else.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

You can run Windows in a virtual machine inside Mint or you could set up a dual boot with Windows and Mint so you would have Windows available for gaming and Mint for everything else.
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

As anyone who comes here asking for assistance, it is always customary to post what version of Mint you're using; after all Mint is based on Ubuntu (as I'm sure you know). Did you try disabling Compiz since you think it is a software related problem? Do you have the appropriate video card drivers? Do you have the most recent version of Wine? If not, then add the repositories for it to your sources.list file and update it. On that link I sent you, did you look to see which version of Wine people were using to play the game? These are all factors you should take into consideration.
That was a metaphor I was using to describe how frustrated I was about trying to get past this one snag in getting WoW to load and play. Do you even know what a metaphor is, or should I get the definition for you?
Yes I know what a metaphor is, but please enlighten me to what you think it is. But I understand frustration, it comes with the territory of trying something new.
But seeing as you're too dim witted to realize this I'll leave you with this. Thanks for trying to help(seriously). Sorry I was rude. But you're still a douche.
I'm glad you apologized, but you were still rude, and it had no place here. As for the douche comment, I'll take that as a compliment considering where a douche goes. But that still goes to show your maturity level. With that being said, you have no idea who I am, so who are you to place judgement on me or anyone here? None whatsoever.

What gets me is how blatant and bold people can be when their sitting safely behind their keyboard at home who wouldn't have the guts to say things like this to someone face to face.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Snuffeloffagus,

I would suggest you try un-installing wine and installing CrossOver. It is the commercial version of Wine and is certified to run WOW. You will probably have better luck with it.

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames/

On another note, your posts started out a little too aggressive for me, and got worse. You need to remember that we are all users/helpers/volunteers. We have no obligation to help anybody. Everyone responding is doing so only for the pleasure of helping you. You should probably try to do your part to make it an enjoyable experience, if you want help.

Another issue is your language. It is bordering on the profane. We have a number of children that monitor and use this forum. Others will tell you that I have a low tolerance for harassing and profane language. They would be correct.

Please try to watch your language and express yourself in a way that would be appropriate for an 8 year old to read.

Thanks.

Fred
Tantalus

Post by Tantalus »

WoW will work and install OK under wine in Mint

The problem you describe with not being able to accept the agreement seems to be down to Blizzard using XML in the window that the standard wine browser doesnt know how to handle.

Solution : http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks

Install IE or firefox and your accept button will become clickable.

Also check out the Wine pages on WoWwiki

And if you get stuck try searching the ubuntu forums for advice.

Definitely no need to pay for CrossOver ,( £26 confused ? :O )

Tant
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

Tantalus wrote:WoW will work and install OK under wine in Mint

The problem you describe with not being able to accept the agreement seems to be down to Blizzard using XML in the window that the standard wine browser doesnt know how to handle.

Solution : http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks

Install IE or firefox and your accept button will become clickable.

Also check out the Wine pages on WoWwiki

And if you get stuck try searching the ubuntu forums for advice.

Definitely no need to pay for CrossOver ,( £26 confused ? :O )

Tant

Great reply! I am glad someone was able to help. I've looked at WoW a couple times and thought it would be interesting, but I just don't have the time to play games anymore, especially with a wife and 6 kids to take care of.

Snuffeloffagus, I hope this helps you, and sorry for egging you on last night. Good luck.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Tantalus,

You are of course correct. You can make WoW work in wine. However, the user has already spent several hours trying to do just that. If he can't, for whatever reason solve the problem, he has the option to pay someone else to do the heavy lifting for him. That is what CodeWeavers has done. This is their target demographic.

As is true with many other things, you research and take the time and make the effort to learn to do something yourself or you pay someone else to do it for you. :-)

Fred
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Dual boot for games. It's the easiest solution, and your game will run better in it's native environment anyway.

Return to “Software & Applications”