sound - I have none

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Crypz

sound - I have none

Post by Crypz »

before I continue, I want to say that I have actually searched around this forum but I havent found anything to fix my problem yet
oh and- im new to linux

yesterday I tried out ubuntu, was pretty nice until I realized I hadnt heard any sounds, not at all, searching around and doing different methods i didnt manage to fix it.
oh, once I got a sound for about 3 secs until it went away again. So I thought I had some problem with the OS and downloaded Mint 7,
facing the same problem again, looking for suggestions
:roll:
00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP67 Memory Controller (rev a2)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP67 ISA Bridge (rev a2)
00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP67 SMBus (rev a2)
00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 OHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a2)
00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev a2)
00:04.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 OHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a2)
00:04.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev a2)
00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP67 IDE Controller (rev a1)
00:07.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP67 High Definition Audio (rev a1)
00:08.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP67 PCI Bridge (rev a2)
00:09.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP67 AHCI Controller (rev a2)
00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 Ethernet (rev a2)
00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP67 PCI Express Bridge (rev a2)
00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP67 PCI Express Bridge (rev a2)
00:0d.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP67 PCI Express Bridge (rev a2)
00:0e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP67 PCI Express Bridge (rev a2)
00:0f.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP67 PCI Express Bridge (rev a2)
00:10.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP67 PCI Express Bridge (rev a2)
00:11.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP67 PCI Express Bridge (rev a2)
00:12.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 7050 PV / nForce 630a (rev a2)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
HALP
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Crypz

Re: sound - I have none

Post by Crypz »

:idea:
Tried asking in irc and people there didnt know the solution either
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Sorry you are having problems. Have tried this approach?
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/simple-guide- ... users.html
Crypz

Post by Crypz »

newW2 wrote:Sorry you are having problems. Have tried this approach?
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/simple-guide- ... users.html
thanks for reply, yeah I have tried that method without success
kansasnoob

Post by kansasnoob »

I'm going to ask a stupid question, only because I've done this myself, is it possible that your speaker plug is not installed in the proper port on the computer?

Since you followed Markbuntu's guide (I think) you've already installed gnome-alsamixer, so look in Sound & Video and check out the variety of toggles. Make sure the first three and last four (VIA) toggles are set to at least 90%.
kansasnoob

Post by kansasnoob »

Also look at the Basic Troubleshooting steps here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting

And post the output of:

Code: Select all

aplay -l
BTW that's a lower case L.
Crypz

Post by Crypz »

thx kansas
Ive tried that ubuntu troubleshoot before

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC662 Analog [ALC662 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC662 Digital [ALC662 Digital]

anyway, I got some kind of sound out of my machine
well, this is what happened, I took out my speakers which were plugged in with USB and put a regular headset instead in the back of my computer and started up some kind of track I had on my desktop,
it started playing sound a bit, very discontinued/fragmental,
basically when I click on that timeline on a song/track in a media player, it plays disruptively for a few sec then stops completely until i click somewhere randomly again

excuse my poor english but I hope I made myself clear

i hope this helps me to get closer to the solution
kansasnoob

Post by kansasnoob »

Crypz wrote:thx kansas

well, this is what happened, I took out my speakers which were plugged in with USB and put a regular headset instead in the back of my computer and started up some kind of track I had on my desktop,
basically when I click on that timeline on a song/track in a media player, it plays disruptively for a few sec then stops completely until i click somewhere randomly again

Don't worry about your english, If I don't understand something I'll say so. You're doing fine so far!

Since you mention USB speakers, are they the kind that has both a regular speaker plugin + USB for an external amp? If so go to gnome-alsamixer in Sound & Video and make sure the "external amplifier" option is "ticked".

If they are purely USB speakers I'm not sure what to do next???????????? I've never used speakers that were purely USB.
Crypz

Post by Crypz »

kansasnoob wrote:
Crypz wrote:thx kansas

Don't worry about your english, If I don't understand something I'll say so. You're doing fine so far!

Since you mention USB speakers, are they the kind that has both a regular speaker plugin + USB for an external amp? If so go to gnome-alsamixer in Sound & Video and make sure the "external amplifier" option is "ticked".

If they are purely USB speakers I'm not sure what to do next???????????? I've never used speakers that were purely USB.
I dont think the USB part matters at this point since I even have problem with a regular headset,
but since you wanted to know, the speakers are plugged into a table-microfone which is plugged into the computer via USB

atm I'm facing the problem where I have a bit of the sound but its not working properly, at all and is no use
kansasnoob

Post by kansasnoob »

Well I'm not sure where to go next with this but I have used these repos to help solve stubborn pulse audio problems:

https://launchpad.net/~themuso/+archive/ppa

It worked OK in Jaunty, but it's an "at your own risk thing"!

And plan on running thru the steps in part A here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578
Crypz

Post by Crypz »

Well, considering that the USB might have confused the OS I decided to have my normal headset plugged and did a clean install, sound is working perfectly now but haha, I have lost my internet connection, completely
Crypz

Post by Crypz »

OK, I managed to somehow get my connection working too,

This has been SOLVED, ty kansas for leading me to the right direction

Return to “Beginner Questions”