Used to have Sound - Just stopped working...

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
revdjenk

Re: Used to have Sound - Just stopped working...

Post by revdjenk »

hups...

Welcome to Mint and Linux...

First, remember those Windows updates which cause temporary hardware problems? So it happens here, too, sometimes.

Second, I had this same problem at the same time, but have different sound hardware, (and not quite sure HOW I fixed it.)

Third, here is a thread with a positive answer and result!
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... e0#p140731

God Bless
Doug
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

If you've rebooted since the virtualbox issue, it is unlikely to still be an issue. Also, you say you've checked pulseaudio settings, but have you checked that pulseaudio is still running. Try "Pulseaudio Device Chooser" --> Manager and check it says "connected"
David Valentine

Post by David Valentine »

I had something like this occur on my Lenovo T61 Thinkpad. It turned out that one sound channel had muted itself. Here's roughly how I dealt with it:

1. Open a terminal and start alsamixer
2. Start something that makes sound (e.g., one of the "test" buttons on Menu/Preferences/Sound applet)
3. Get the focus back on alsamixer and un-mute each available output channel one at a time (press "m" to toggle). If necessary, also increase the volume (up arrow).
4. One of the un-mutes and/or volume changes should bring your sound back.

Good luck!
Eliwood

Post by Eliwood »

Same problem here, so I think it's not a user-mistake what causes this problem.

EDIT: Reverting to older version of gstreamer solved my problems.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

Hi hups; I have just started using Mint and pulseaudio seems to be a component of the sound, as well as alsa;

we could not get sound out of ext speakers; what worked for us:

have no sound playing: go to: Menu: Sound & Video: PulseAudio Volume Control: select the left tab: Playback: no sound stream will show;
start audio stream: now in Playback, there should be an audio stream showing: RIGHT-CLICK on it: you get two options: move stream or terminate: select MOVE STREAM: hopefully you may see Front or some such option: select what seems to be your ext speakers: even as a check, it is useful to become familiar with this

any use to you?
MisterD

Post by MisterD »

I don't have any sound either. I installed both Mint 7 and Ubuntu 9.04 on a multiboot configuration. I have a desktop machine with an Intel GNT series motherboard. It has an onboard audio chip. In Sound Preferences it comes up as HDA Intel STAC92xx. I also have a Creative Audigy 4 sound card. I am using the Audigy card in XP and Linux Mint version 5 and I have audio in both cases. I think the audio subsystem is now broken. No matter what settings I specify in Sound Preferencest, nothing works. And this is true in Ubuntu and Mint 7 RC1. In XP I had to disable the IDT HDA Codec in order to get the Audigy card to work. So I am wondering if there is some sort of conflict preventing audio output. I'm going to load Mint 6 tomorrow to see if that one works. Perhaps a bug has been introduced into the latest Linux kernel.

Return to “Sound”