is Mint x64 less stable?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Eucalyptus

is Mint x64 less stable?

Post by Eucalyptus »

Hi,

The download page http://linuxmint.com/download.php said about x64 version
This edition supports the X86_64 architecture and it is optimized for 64bit processors. Note that the Main Edition (which is 32bit) is usually more stable and it also supports 64bit processors.
If Mint is based on Ubuntu, is it the same code base than Ubuntu x64?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Re: is Mint x64 less stable?

Post by Carl »

Eucalyptus wrote:Hi,

The download page http://linuxmint.com/download.php said about x64 version
This edition supports the X86_64 architecture and it is optimized for 64bit processors. Note that the Main Edition (which is 32bit) is usually more stable and it also supports 64bit processors.
If Mint is based on Ubuntu, is it the same code base than Ubuntu x64?
I'm running the x64 version of felicia (mint 6) which is based on ubuntu amd64 intrepid ibex (ubuntu 8.10) and it's never had a problem (unless you count a couple that i created :lol: )
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

Many times it depends on your hardware. With my system, the 64-bit version of Mint gives me better video performance than the 32-bit version. Not that the 32-bit version was really bad by any means, but I could tell an improvement when I switched. From now on, I know my hardware is happier with 64-bit, so that is what I shall be running with.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
mikesol

Post by mikesol »

For me is very stable, except for some pages with java applets or flash. My bank's page doesn't work at all (it works with java).
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

The statement is that 32 bit Mint is more stable than 64 bit Mint. I don't think anyone would really say 64 bit is unstable. It could be very stable and still be less stable than 32 bit Mint - which, in my experience, is one of the most stable OS available.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

msrourke,

If you read my entire post, you'll see I make the same point you do.
I said;
. I don't think anyone would really say 64 bit is unstable. It could be very stable and still be less stable than 32 bit Mint - which, in my experience, is one of the most stable OS available.

Return to “Beginner Questions”