How do i install Microsoft Office 2003???

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kansasnoob

Re: How do i install Microsoft Office 2003???

Post by kansasnoob »

GLaDOS wrote:I'm not an expert, but I don't think Office would work so well. Try Openoffice.org instead.
Or abiword.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bennachie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bennachie »

Installing Office 2003 is known to have been problematic in some versions of Wine (see http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... n&iId=3214) and runs slowly in those versions and distributions which have successfully negotiated the minefields planted by Microsoft. I can only agree with the earlier respondents - Open Office 3 does everything that 2003 can do, plus it imports Office 2007 documents pretty much perfectly. Given those facts, and remembering that Open Office is free, and included in the distro, why on earth would you want to go to all the trouble of installing 2003 via Wine? Most people who use Wine seem to be interested in gaming, and the software development effort has naturally been placed in this area.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

If you need to share documents with someone using MS Office you can save your documents with the corresponding extension that the MS product can recognize, example: .doc for MS Word.
Patrissimo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Patrissimo »

I read somewhere that using the .rtf format would avoid most of the few problems that folks have switching between Word and Open Office.

Return to “Beginner Questions”