I miss Ubuntu's 2 panel Menu system

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Eucalyptus

I miss Ubuntu's 2 panel Menu system

Post by Eucalyptus »

Hi,

Just started using Mint 7 RC1 (coming from Ubuntu 8.x & 9.04). I would say that if I spent enough time to customize Ubuntu, it would looks like ... LinuxMint. So you guys saved me a lot of time. Thanks.

So far I got used to Ubuntu GUI, now that I see LinuxMint's look & feel, I wonder why Ubuntu couldn't do the same with a bigger team. However, in my opinion, there are good ideas in Ubuntu design. Part of it is the two panel system with the start menu in the top panel. Why is it better?

1. More room and clear separation: Menu, launchers, notification, Windows switcher on the top panel. Tasks on the bottom panel.

2. The bottom panel can be replaced by a dock (Avant Window Manager or Gnome Do). The top panel can still remains unchanged. This is something that the 1 panel design like LinuxMint cannot do.

In other words, I think that LinuxMint's taskbar looks too much like Windows XP's one. The "Start" menu itself is well done, but the mix of menu + tasks + launchers + notification in the same panel is not efficient. Was Mint's menu designed to take minimum room on the screen? If so it is not an advantage for me.

I have added another panels and pretty much put applets back to replicate Ubuntu's menu. There are are few things I could not do:

Q1. Right click on an application: there is no more "Add to Panel" or "Add to Desktop". Is there a way to have them back (other than "create launcher")?

Q2. "Places" menu that drop down the list of all home sub-folders and bookmarked folders. Mint's Home icon on the desktop is almost the samething. But it requires a double click, its icon is covers by opened applications. How to replicate Ubuntu's places menu?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: I miss Ubuntu's 2 panel Menu system

Post by proxima_centauri »

Question 1&2
Try using the menu-bar applet as it is what Ubuntu uses.
Eucalyptus

Post by Eucalyptus »

proxima_centauri wrote:Question 1&2
Try using the menu-bar applet as it is what Ubuntu uses.
The Menu Bar applet doesn't have the Mint Menu items. What I wanted to mix the features of both menu systems:

1- Either keeping mintMenu and have it implement the content of "Places" and the "Add launcher to ..." like Ubuntu Menu.

Or:

2- Using Ubuntu Menu (by MenuBar applet) and add mint Specific items in it (Control Center, Software Manager, Log off.)

In my opinion, Option1 is more efficient as it only requires to add minor changes to mintMenu. Could this be considered as a feature request?
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

mintMenu contains the Home place link, so no worries about the desktop link being hidden behind windows. I believe the mintMenu places customisation has been postponed for a future release, so it's obviously not as trivial as you think. They are however good feature suggestions, so I propose you repost them as suggestions in the mintMenu section of the forums.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Mint Xfce has a working "places" function, give the live cd a spin, you'll probably like it!
When I first tried Xfce it was like seeing the light, it is faster then Gnome, and has better plugins for the panel,you can even run Gnome panel applets if you want to, so in that you can run both the minMenu AND have the "places" plugin(xfce and/or Gnome) going at the same time.
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

Right click on an application: there is no more "Add to Panel" or "Add to Desktop". Is there a way to have them back (other than "create launcher")?
You can left click and drag the shortcut to the panel.
Eucalyptus

Post by Eucalyptus »

markcynt wrote:
Right click on an application: there is no more "Add to Panel" or "Add to Desktop". Is there a way to have them back (other than "create launcher")?
You can left click and drag the shortcut to the panel.
Works perfectly, it's even better than the right-click "Add to ..." No wonder why the right click implementation was removed.
Zwopper wrote:Mint Xfce has a working "places" function, give the live cd a spin, you'll probably like it!
When I first tried Xfce it was like seeing the light, it is faster then Gnome, and has better plugins for the panel,you can even run Gnome panel applets if you want to, so in that you can run both the minMenu AND have the "places" plugin(xfce and/or Gnome) going at the same time.
XFCE? Never tried. Is it the bare minimum graphic mode that Gnome reverted to when when Xorg.conf is corrupted? I will to give it a try running it in a VM. May be I would see the light too.

@emorrp1: OK I will post a suggestion. Thanks.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Eucalyptus wrote: XFCE? Never tried. Is it the bare minimum graphic mode that Gnome reverted to when when Xorg.conf is corrupted? I will to give it a try running it in a VM. May be I would see the light too.
Oh no, it is a nice DE, with it's own compositor and all, it's nice looking, full of goodies, and fast as lightning - should be the default DE IMHO; mind you I was a hard headed Gnome fanatic before I tried Xfce!
CREA DIEM!

Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

Just throwing this out there -- try the single Gnome menu. It has an Ubuntu (Mint?) logo, and it's very nice. I use it cause it takes less space, and it's very easy to navigate.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Acid_1 wrote:Just throwing this out there -- try the single Gnome menu. It has an Ubuntu (Mint?) logo, and it's very nice. I use it cause it takes less space, and it's very easy to navigate.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 87#p151722 :mrgreen: :wink: :roll:
CREA DIEM!

Return to “Beginner Questions”