Linux Mint 7 RC1 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
dado023

Re: Linux Mint 7 RC1 released!

Post by dado023 »

hi every one,...this my first post here...
i have been in linux since mint4, .....

i am thrilled with this version linux mint 7 RC1, .....it looks like a very descent replacement for windows, for years i was constraining of Linux as a my main OS, but now i think things will change ;)
it works in virtualBox(320ram, 15GB HDD) with 3d and compiz....and it consumes less than 200MB of memory!!!!!!! crazy
and network sharing with windows computers is just flawless. :)...although i didn't try printer sharing.

exciting times are ahead, when 9.10 comes out linux will be blazing
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... pha1&num=1

one more thing, i though ext4 is the new ubuntu 9.04 file system, but i noticed mint installed with ext3.....????

thanks ever1
cheers
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

dado023 wrote:one more thing, i though ext4 is the new ubuntu 9.04 file system, but i noticed mint installed with ext3
not quite: ubuntu said they might make ext4 default in karmic (jaunty+1) if it's popular. ext4 is available in the manual partioning stage of the ubuntu/mint installer.
wobf58
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wobf58 »

Great work. I have a new DELL E6500 and it works great. The whole boot just takes 45 seconds. There are some little issues with the mousepad but that is minor. And I have some Logitech USB speakers where I have trouble with to get them to work. Mint is recognizing them but thats it. I would love to get them to work since the laptop speakers are not that great. I always appreciate some ideas how to solve that problem. Just curious when the KDE RC1 is scheduled to come out. The KDE version of version 6 was a little slow in performance so I am hoping that KDE version 7 is as quick as GNOME. But again, great job guys. Keep up the good work.
Laptop: DELL E6500 with LED backlight
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8700
RAM: 4096MB (2048x2) DDR2 800
NVIDIA Quatro NVS160M 256 MB / 320 GB HDD/
kansasnoob

Post by kansasnoob »

A big thank you to Clem, or whoever, for fixing the tiny (and brief) glitch in Mint Update so quickly!

So far Gloria is simply glorious!
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

kansasnoob wrote:A big thank you to Clem, or whoever, for fixing the tiny (and brief) glitch in Mint Update so quickly!

So far Gloria is simply glorious!
It is beautiful isn't it? I messed around with Ubuntu for a bit a while back and thought it's OK. But as always Clem and Company takes it to a level of Polish that only they can do. 8)
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Minor annoyance

Post by marcus0263 »

It's a minor annoyance, doesn't affect functionality but on the login right under the user/password box it says

"User will login in 30 seconds"
Shuttle SX58
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Reject the Herd
blueknight529

Post by blueknight529 »

Looks Great, Feels Great. Just have an issue with Network Windows Shares, unless I run Samba4K.
Opening the Desktop Network Icon, shows all the network machines, but fails to open them.
Had the same problem with Mint 6. Really wish you guys could get that fixed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I love the RC so far. Maybe it's been posted already, but I can't seem to find it. When is the scheduled release day for the final 7 release?
There is no scheduled release date, it ready when it's ready. Things are progressing at a very good pace though. :D
lexon

Post by lexon »

I am getting some Mint 7 updates almost every day. Looking good.

lexon
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

I tried Mint 6 Saturday, and liked it, installed Mint 7 RC1 yesterday and I love it, very slick!
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

The latest update to the mint grub screen has left me drooling. Good job clem.
xxploit

Post by xxploit »

Few comments:

Glad to see the grub artwork changed to match the new style.

Brasero: Brasero hasnt worked for myself or others in a long time. Back when I was looking for the fix for it to burn, many blamed it on that fact that it was using wodim/geniso instead of the actual cdr-tools programs. Either way Brasero still fails horribly to burn anything for me. So as always I install xfburn which uses libburn/etc and as always works.
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

xxploit wrote:Few comments:

Glad to see the grub artwork changed to match the new style.

Brasero: Brasero hasnt worked for myself or others in a long time. Back when I was looking for the fix for it to burn, many blamed it on that fact that it was using wodim/geniso instead of the actual cdr-tools programs. Either way Brasero still fails horribly to burn anything for me. So as always I install xfburn which uses libburn/etc and as always works.
Yeah I know it's "proprietary" but I use NeroLinux, have for a couple of years. It's excellent and it's only $25 which isn't much, plus I like supporting those who are making a good effort to support Linux. Seriously folks for Linux to really take a good foothold commercial company's need to know they can make money with Linux. The best news I know of now is Ultraedit will be available soon for Linux, it's in "Alpha" now. 8)
Shuttle SX58
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Reject the Herd
Husse

Post by Husse »

tuxfan
That's more for the bug topic but mintUpdate has been updated a lot lately so you probably find a working one if you update it through synaptic
Joeasaurus

Post by Joeasaurus »

Im so smitten with the new release!!

Especially love the inclusion of windows' autorun.inf
It's lovely to see my usb drive given the icon i wanted it to have :D
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by subslug »

I'd basically given up on ever seeing a day when my Toshiba laptop would suspend and resume properly. Loaded Mint 7 on it and just for grins set it to suspend when I close the lid and damned if it didn't actually work!
It takes a few seconds but even the wireless re-connects after resuming.
I'm stoked.

I'd also like to mention the huge improvement in USB devices, external hard drives in particular. Plug and play works exactly how it should, it's not even hit or miss like it has been in Linux for a while, not just picking on Mint.
When I plug a drive in now, it's mounted, the desktop icon pops up and I'm good to go.
Me Like!

7 is coming along nicely, not that we'd expect anything less from the Mint guys. :)
mitsuzero

Post by mitsuzero »

i need to said this...
in my system all worked fine
in mint 7
Specs
  • HP 8050LA
    Intel Core2Duo e4300
    2 Gb DDRII 667
    3 Disk (1 IDE x 80 Gb) (2 Disk SATA x 500 Gb) - i made a space to put more disk-
    integrated Video (945)
    and PVR 150 - that not work very well in other distros (i dunno the cause)
lexon

Post by lexon »

I have lost the Wireless Icon in my desktop also. No doubt the developers are doing something. Not to worry. It might be fixed in the next uopdate. After all, this is a RC version.

My wireless laptop running Mint 7 Live CD has a good wireless connection.

lexon
Xtigyro

Post by Xtigyro »

I have a question. Clem, don't you think that it's a good idea to include the translators names/nicknames in the "About" or in some documentation (where everybody can see all contributing members) shipped with the cd distro in order to increase the number of volunteers? :)
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

clem wrote:
emorrp1 wrote:Perhaps a translations tab in the credits box to attribute all the translations you hope to receive.
That was mentioned before but again, I'd rather not create more work for us. Translators aren't credited for what they do.
There are a lot of translators, and crediting them in one tool creates an expectation for the others, crediting them in all the tools would indeed be a lot of work for clem! Perhaps sometime in the future Xtigyro. Also, he'd have to contact everyone to ensure they're ok for their name (and/or e-mail) to be published.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”