search sucks

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
haveanotherpuff
Level 1
Level 1

search sucks

Post by haveanotherpuff »

I find that someone told me a subject I posted in the wrong section was already being discussed and to use the search to find it is wrong or the search is just not the same as the post i posted,and further more if anyone who is trying to be helpful should have actually posted the link to that particular discussion or just not said anything about it in the first place,

I have search for what I asked and have not found it as of yet,and I seen nothing anywhere about it,so link me up, with the link to this discussion from other link...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

here is a link to your first question.
http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2208

2nd. search can suck. as in this example you can not find the post above if you search for 7.04 or "7.04" and 7.04 is in the title.
But in the install forum there are a few threads about the upgrade pre and post fiesty 7.04.

scorp must have been tired and forgot to give you the link.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Boo wrote:scorp must have been tired and forgot to give you the link.
Nope, he was just too lazy :twisted:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: search sucks

Post by scorp123 »

haveanotherpuff wrote:I have search for what I asked and have not found it
Well, the search function can't help it if you search for the wrong thing. If you search for "update", "upgrade" or "feisty" there will be plenty of hits here. And besides I moved your thread to the right place: the topic you were looking for is in the very same sub-forum. All it takes is a minimum effort from you to browse the topics :wink:

And besides: You can always use Google, e.g. by restricting the search results to the domain "linuxmint.com" ... this would also produce the desired results.
haveanotherpuff
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Boo

Thank you Boo for the link I searched for update and found so many hits it was just overwhelming for someone like me.

I thought forums had rules about waste post with useless information,no wonder some people get so high in thier posts and others just stay average.

Glad I am not an over achiever,have to go over some more of someone post and see just how often a post is wasted per average,maybe do a bell curve or something simple for fun...
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Thanks Boo

Post by scorp123 »

haveanotherpuff wrote:I thought forums had rules about waste post with useless information
Depends on where you post that. :twisted: There are sub-forums which are "free for all" and "free for everything". As for the technical sub-forums: Please understand that I can't have people ask the same question again and again and again ... Not only does it add to the confusion if a newbie later on tries to find a solution to the same problem it also increases the workloads of those trying to help. And that's silly, hence I move and if needed close redundant threads if I happen to come across them. :twisted:

This is nothing personal ... if that all of a sudden is what bothers you :D
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

Moving a redundant thread is good work.

What puts me off is seeing that the "moderation" often includes a petty insult.

------
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

telic wrote:What puts me off is seeing that the "moderation" often includes a petty insult.
Huh? Example? :? I don't think I am "insulting" anyone if I tell them that they could have given one or two more thoughts about their postings, e.g. "do I really need to open a new topic?" and "is this the right location for my question?". So yes, sometimes I gave certain users a little "wakeup" and most of the time even the right link to the previous topic ... but "insults"? :wink:
haveanotherpuff
Level 1
Level 1

I felt insulted!

I felt insulted the use of xxx alone is an insult to most people,if you think not then Mister you should think again. And it is not as though it all of a sudden bothered me,I just had to think of a polite way to reply to your insulting and rude behavior, without lowering myself to using such acronyms as xxx like I was talking to a brain dead dope fiend...

I apologise for expressing myself,it is not usually my thing to be so anal about what some people believe is nothing!
Last edited by Oscar799 on Wed May 12, 2010 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inappropriate acronym deleted
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: I felt insulted!

Post by scorp123 »

haveanotherpuff wrote: ... the use of xxx alone is an insult to most people ...
Well ... it sure got your attention all of a sudden :twisted:
haveanotherpuff wrote: ... if you think not then Mister you should think again ...
Some tolerance levels are higher than others I guess? :wink:
haveanotherpuff wrote: I apologise for expressing myself ...
That is not necessary. This here is about keeping a certain order in the forum and not about censoring what people have to say :wink: As they say in a mobile phone commercial here: "Be free, express yourself". Just do it in the right place, please :D
Last edited by Oscar799 on Wed May 12, 2010 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inappropriate acronym deleted
haveanotherpuff
Level 1
Level 1

delete

I think it should be possible to delete immature comment like some of the above,

Mint linux is one smooth operating system ,for such a young one.

Return to “Beginner Questions”