Video to Digital conversion software

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Old Marcus

Video to Digital conversion software

Post by Old Marcus »

Hey, does anyone know of any video to digital conversion software for linux? I want to get all our old videos into digital format, but before buying the hardware, I wouldn't mind knowing if the software is available. I could do it on my Windows partition, but to be honest, it isn't big enough for full length movies, whereas my home partition is in excess of 200gb. Also, will the hardware work under Linux? Is it generic like a mouse or will it need special drivers?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Video to Digital conversion software

Post by subslug »

You might want to give us a bit more info like, are you talking VHS to digital?

Also what method were you intending to use to get it from whatever media you're talking about to your PC....an add in card or...??

If it is what I think it is your saying, converting VHS to DVD then I would recommend a stand alone DVD-VHS player/recorder. I've done a little of this with a TV Card that had a composite input.
Just know it's a real time transfer....a 4 hour VHS will take 4 hours to copy but, you probably already know this. :oops:
Old Marcus

Re: Video to Digital conversion software

Post by Old Marcus »

Sorry, to clarify:

VHS to movie files on my computer. I know an add on card is needed, but is there software for it for linux, since my Windows partition doesn't have the space to hold the files.

Return to “Chat about Linux”