priority for dist-upgrade

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cliffskoog
Level 1
Level 1

priority for dist-upgrade

Post by cliffskoog »

Hi
I've installed Bea, and after tweaking xorg.conf managed to get dual head working on my Dell 9400/E1705, so I'm a happy camper. Nice distribution. Lots works. Not yet, though have I got suspend/hibernate. Any clues?

But what seems important to bring up is the capacity to upgrade Mint without reinstalling. This is what makes it real for me because the more applications I use the less appealing a re-install seems. I'm sure many others feel the same, and you will encourage a large installed base of Mint if it can become possible to upgrade.

Thanks for this excellent ubuntu variant!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

I'll try to think of something, if not through the use of apt, through the use of an Updater program.

Note: If that happens it'll happen for Bianca though. There will be no upgrade possible from Barbara to Bea.

Clem
AlsaPhil

Post by AlsaPhil »

Hi everybody,

I agree: dist-upgrade will be very important in the future and a sine qua non for many "worker-class-heroes" to stay on Linuxmint.
Clem, what do you need for this?
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Well it depends how I do it.

1. The APT way.

--> I make sure EVERYTHING I do is a package. I make a repository. I create branches (Stable (Barbara), Testing (Bea), Unstable (Pluto)), I tell people to set up their sources.list to the branch they want...

That's the best way but it requires a lot of work, and we'll only be doing that if we start to have people working full time on this project.

2. The "Upgrader" way.

--> I keep track of every single change between two versions. And I release a script or a program that "upgrades" one version to the other by recreating these changes.

That's easy to do, but it's not a great solution.

And then of course.. there's the mixture of both... :?

Clem
AlsaPhil

Post by AlsaPhil »

Oh my God... I
cliffskoog
Level 1
Level 1

upgrade path

Post by cliffskoog »

Hi again,

I'm looking forward to trying out that upgrade tutorial from Bea to Bianca. I've kept my system up to date so far with synaptic, and I earlier made the decision to have my home directory on a separate partition, thinking that if I had to reinstall this would keep some things intact.

BTW, if anyone wants to see the xorg.conf that got my Intel 945GM graphics to do dual head (with 1440x900 on the laptop screen), I'll post it.

I'm planning to put Bianca on a couple friends machines, who are getting sick of XP and see if they'll be happy with it.

Thanks again

Return to “Non-technical Questions”