Sluggy windows

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
civint
Level 3
Level 3

Sluggy windows

Post by civint »

I recently installed Bianca, a nice distro, however, when I try to move the windoows about, it takes a while for them to react (they almost look like they are trying to bend, a la XGL, but I was not aware of how to turn it off if it is indeed what is going on), and I'm not sure how i get the detailed settings for gnome, being more of a kde man (but atempting to migrate, it's just so hard when it's not in the EU!). Any help would be much appreciated.

Mintily, civint. A right limey n00b.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Welcome to Mint, civint
Some questions:
1) Do you have Beryl?
2) which graphics driver do you have?
//edit//This should have been there too
3) What graphics card do you have?
Seems like you either have Beryl installed or the vesa driver
Post the contents of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file in your answer
Last edited by Husse on Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi
Always have that problem with Debian/Ubuntu
based distributions, in my case it is the wrong refresh rate, 60hz instead of 75hz
In my case it is cured by installing Nvidia driver and then resetting refresh rate
Nick
Husse

Post by Husse »

@BlahBlah_X
envy - yes if the graphics card is nvidia or ati, but he has not mentioned the brand
civint
Level 3
Level 3

Post by civint »

sorry, lol, I havn't been able to reply quickly, however, I do not have a graphics card installed at the moment, I'm using the SiS one that comes with the mobo..I suppose, if I do have beryl or vesa, how would I go about stopping them, or, removing them (could I do that from synaptic?)
Husse

Post by Husse »

(could I do that from synaptic?)
Yes - Beryl but not vesa which you are using.
How do I know? You have built in SIS video and then you get vesa when you install.
The driver is in Synaprtics, search for "xserver-xorg-video-sis"
civint
Level 3
Level 3

Post by civint »

so is it safe for me to remove it from the system? Or do I have to edit the config files? (I'm not scared of rolling my sleeves up and going old school all over X11 config files....)

I will be getting an nvidia graphics card soon, so will using the "sudo envy" command get me the drivers etc. I need?
Husse

Post by Husse »

so is it safe for me to remove it from the system
Remove what?
Go to synaptics and install the sis driver. When you get the nvidia card you do (as you suggest) sudo envy
You don't need to remove the SIS drivers before you "envy" and in your case I recommend keeping them in case you have to remove the graphics card. I discovered I had the SIS drivers installed (and I removed them) and I've never had a SIS card.
When you add the new graphics card, don't forget to make changes in your BIOS! This can be tricky depending on how well designed your mobo is. But basicly you enter BIOS and disable the built in video and power down. Then you install the new card (put it in its slot on the mobo) and power up and you should be OK.
I've had some nightmare situations (mostly) with older mobos with integrated graphics when you add a card....
civint
Level 3
Level 3

Post by civint »

sorry, I misread your post about vesa (which i guess I can't remove) however, I'm not sure that any answers to my question have come up, other than what drivers I currently use...

Can i configure vesa to maker the wondows less sluggy when I move them about on the screen?
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

I'm not sure that any answers to my question have come up
Possibly because you've provided virtually no useful data about your PC.

Not all brands of PC (or their components) are the same. To make a computer run at its peppiest and fully featured, your hardware might need special driver software. Linux comes with numerous common drivers, enough to get most PCs up and running.

VESA is a generic video standard that works for most PC graphics. It's something of a "lowest common denominator" of video card drivers. It works most of the time, though it might not be ideal or even satisfactory to all. Top performance and best behaviour is usually achieved by installing model-specific drivers, obtained from a Linux distro repository or the video manufacturer website.

Whenever you seek answers at an online forum, it's essential to provide detailed info about what's inside your PC. Motherboard model and add-on version numbers, for example.

-------
Husse

Post by Husse »

Agree with telic. However you mentioned that you have integrated graphics on a SIS motherboard. The SIS driver in synaptics I mentioned above should work fine and give you decent 2D graphics.
You can forget about 3D though....
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

heh... to make it completely simple for you :)

open up a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-sis
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
civint
Level 3
Level 3

Post by civint »

@telic--k, sorry that I didn't give you detailed info :oops: , and if I appeared to be getting a bit mad, but iI thought that it was a pretty general thing, although with clarification, it 'aint, so now I know, but since I am getting my new graphics card in s matter of days i figured it ewas a pretty low priority thing...also since I am at college most of the time, I am unable to a) check xorg info ad hoc (also since my linux box has no network connection) and b) read forum stuff off hand.

@NiksaVel, thanks for the tip! but I think that with the impending graphics card, it wont be worth it.

@Husse--I think I may have been misreading/misunderstanding your previous post, when I was aking about removing it...lol

@all I think we should consider this thread closed, due to the fact that with info gained I can get the appropriate drivers for my impending graphics card (will be amaaaazing), and also I was a bonehead, and I apologise for not giving detailed info and generally wasting time.

Thanks anyway, I hope no ill feeling will be harboured against the civ...I will be making many more unintelligable posts in the future, however, they will be detaile unintelligable posts! lol. Ta.

Civint
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

I will be making many more unintelligable posts in the future, however, they will be detaile unintelligable posts! lol. Ta.
Bravo. Make all that unintelligible stuff as highly detailed as possible!

------

Return to “Software & Applications”