Gnome settings daemon error

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Gnome settings daemon error

Post by NiksaVel »

it didn't happen all the time... in fact first few boots, after installation of Beryl were okay... now the last 5 or so boots I get this msg after logging in:
There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.

Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly.

The last error message was:

Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in.
what to do?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
Husse

Post by Husse »

Hi NiksaVel
What about kick out Beryl?
I did so after a while - to much trouble for the benefit...
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Husse wrote:I did so after a while - to much trouble for the benefit...
Beryl gets better with each release. You probably just used a very old and early release?
Husse

Post by Husse »

0.2 or something and I kicked it out a couple of weeks ago.
You're probably right scorp, as ever :)
I don't think the benefits of Beryl is that great, I just felt it was in my way. But if the Beryl+Compiz merger goes well I might have a go again.
@NiksaVel
I had this error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon a couple of times when Beryl was installed. Never figured out what happened..
Check xorg.conf and see if the additions you're supposed to make according to the wiki are there.
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... Linux_Mint
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

yeah... everything is setup correctly...

I've played around with beryl for a few months about half a year ago... kicked it than...

Now I'm giving it a second review, and a lot of problems that were irritating me are gone in this release...

right now it booted and logged in with no problems or error msgs... I'll just ignore it for now. :?
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

Give Compiz a test drive. It might work better for your particular setup.

I recently switched to Compiz when Beryl meddled with the little workspace viewports on my taskbar.

The Compiz cube can't be made transparent, so it isn't as pretty, but I generally don't use it anyway.

What I'm addicted to is the glass effect for windows.

------
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

where is the glass effect?
-Clem
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

where is the glass effect?
Windows can be made to appear (semi)transparent, like glass. Automatically or manually.

The window glass can appear "frosted" by also using the blurred-background effect.

These effects are complemented by window themes like Thin Black Glass (for Beryl Emerald) and LINsta Black Plastic (for Compiz Metacity).

------

Return to “Other topics”