Return to the Dark Side!

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NumNuts
Level 2
Level 2

Return to the Dark Side!

Post by NumNuts »

Good evening,

I'd finished a weeks worth of work by last night. So decided to have a day off. I realised once the kids were out of the house that I have no interests in life. So went to the BBC web site to see what evil was happening in the worldtoday and to my suprise their giving away beta copies of windows 7 :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: .

Like lots of things in life,you Know its not good for you but sometimes you've got to have a go. It looks nice and relatively fast, but forgot what a pain in the arse windows is :x :x :x :x :x :x .

Now I feel all slimy and repentant :oops: . I have sullied my faithfull PC with such filth, I shall take the hard drive outside and burn it now. Do you think I should wash it with holy water as well?.

Appologies to all mankind for my temporary loss of reason etc.

P.S. PC now all Minty fresh.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Return to the Dark Side!

Post by exploder »

Funny! I know what you mean. I just put Vista on a machine for my Wife to play her games on. I had forgotten that Windows had no real multimedia capabilities out of the box. The Rundll32 error at every single boot was a giant pain to fix! The Windows signed NVidea drivers were completely out of date and the system repeatedly crashed until I turned off signed drivers and loaded the newest drivers. If I have a ps2 mouse hooked up to her machine, Vista thinks it is a tablet pc and the mouse will not work and it gives me an on screen keyboard! That was a fun one to sort out! I just can't get over how anyone could think that Windows is easier to use than Linux. Vista is an unstable piece of crap! How can anyone put up with that asking for permissions to do anything garbage! That useless feature was quickly turned off.

I never get on my Wife's gaming pc and after setting up this one for her I remember why I never touch it. No game is worth the Vista torture to me! Vista was on my main machine when I got it and it was replaced by Mint in ten minutes after booting it up.I have no interest in Windows 7 at all.If a game does not run natively or in Wine I do not need it anyway!
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

I'm happy with Windows in a virtual machine. I prefer XP over Windows7 because it operates happier with less ram in the VM. Windows7 beta doesn't seem to be well optimized to functioning in a virtual environment, so I've been unable to experience any of the "faster boot" stuff that is claimed about it. If anything, it boots much slower than XP in an identical virtual machine. But I refuse to give it more than 512mb of ram to work with, so it is entirely possible that the optimizations and improvements of WIndows7 have to do with better multithreaded use of multicore machines with large ram. So maybe if I gave it direct access to my CPU and 4gb of ram to play with it would be faster than XP under identical circumstances. Beats me.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

It might be more promising if it wasn't based on Vista.
NumNuts
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NumNuts »

Also 3.2Gb download with only a couple of applications onboard. Someones been there baby eat cream cakes and chocolate!, but it does seem to boot faster than I remember with XP.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

My Windows 7 boots in 23 seconds.(P4EE 2.8GHz and 1GB of Ram)
The only driver needed was the nvidia one.\, from the website.
Downloading Vista codec pack gives me all the codecs.(realmedia and quicktime too)
It does come with divx and xvid codecs now too, by the way.
Then I installed all my other apps.
I just like Linux Mint better. :D
I realy only play opensource games so no problems there.(really only nexuiz, and some urban terror) :mrgreen:
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

merlwiz79 wrote:My Windows 7 boots in 23 seconds.(P4EE 2.8GHz and 1GB of Ram)
hah, gloria boots in 19 seconds for me! :D
Shaddix

Post by Shaddix »

I've seen W7 on the laptops of some of the people in my class, it seems ok, but I never wanted to try it myself

untill some weeks ago, my desktop always crashes when vista receives signals from my new wireless router (not if it receives signals from my old router, how weird is that :) ), now I wanted to try W7, and still the same crap crashes

and guess what, Linux has nooo issues with receiving signals from the router on my desktop, also XP runs fine, I still have to use windows for schoolpurposes but I like to keep it to a minimum
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

I've heard a lot of good reviews about W7, but think it's prudent to wait for a modded release so I can replace my aging XP gaming partition with it. If it's still as heavy as Vista, I don't know what I'll do. WINE won't cut it for the latest games. Gonna keep my eye out at HotFix.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Windows 7 is pretty nice. The new animated start up, blows away Plymouth because it works with any graphics card. Compositing does not interfere with games or multimedia. The default look is very nice. Memory use is way better than Vista. I am not a Windows fan but I do have to admit I like Windows 7. Am I going to pay $259.95 for Windows 7? No... For $50.00 more I could buy a whole new computer!

If it was not for Linux, Microsoft would never have improved their product. One pushes the other. Microsoft in turn pushes Linux to improve as well. My Wife is a gamer, she would benefit from Windows 7. I prefer LinuxMint. I don't mind occasionally using Windows but I just like Linux better.
nono

Post by nono »

Wow, maybe Microsoft is starting to go on the right direction in Windows7?

If this is the case, quality is the competition among the OSes... :D
mitsuzero

Post by mitsuzero »

ithey copy all the tech already in other platforms and OS.... and i only see a modded KDE......in Window$ 7. :roll: :P
Last edited by mitsuzero on Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trident

Post by trident »

My brother has it in a virtual machine so I took a quick look at it... I guess I'm spoiled by how Linux comes with software to do most common things out of the box, but I was shocked at how little you could actually do with Windows 7 without having to download more stuff. No Office, no email client, no torrent client, no messenger, and only the ever-rubbish IE for a browser. Plus you know that when it becomes standard on new PCs you will get the Norton trialware that just refuses to go away, tilting the bloat-functionality balance even further the wrong way...
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

I have yet to be compelled to try it, even considering that it's free for now. I suppose I just don't see the point in installing something that is going to expire, and then later require a very large withdrawal from my bank account. It sort of reminds me of the drug dealer who gives kids free samples of his product so he can get them hooked, only to take all their money later.
delro

Post by delro »

lakehousetech wrote:It might be more promising if it wasn't based on Vista.
If it wasn't, it would take as much time in development as Vista had, which was what? More than half a decade? :lol: And if it took that long again, either people would get used to the drudge called Vista (since gamers have to switch eventually to DX10/11) or get stuck in Jurassic... I mean XP Park.
:lol:
And even if it wasn't based on Vista, it might still be grounded by NT underpinnings, which still has concepts like the registry floating about. :lol:
trident wrote:I guess I'm spoiled by how Linux comes with software to do most common things out of the box, but I was shocked at how little you could actually do with Windows 7 without having to download more stuff. No Office, no email client, no torrent client, no messenger, and only the ever-rubbish IE for a browser. Plus you know that when it becomes standard on new PCs you will get the Norton trialware that just refuses to go away, tilting the bloat-functionality balance even further the wrong way...
I have the EXACT same experience. Compound to that the almost-mandatory Anti-Virus software that will inevitably bog down the performance gains 7 might have made.

I use a single-core "Merom" Celeron D with 1.5GB of RAM and 7 boots slower than both Vista and XP.

I have to say though, the new taskbar is pretty sweet. It's better than the typical bar in that it saves space yet gives more information with the icons+live preview thing. Still, Aero's only nearly as shiny as the shiniest Quartz Extreme yet both ultimately fall down to Compiz' customizability.

Return to “Chat about Linux”