What to Isolate Before Reinstalling?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chowanec
Level 3
Level 3

What to Isolate Before Reinstalling?

Post by chowanec »

Hey all,

I am going to start planning for my reinstall of Mint 7 when it is released. To that end, I'm trying to make sure I've got all much ducks in a row, as I finally have Ming 6 running the way I want.

1) I've backed up my packages with: dpkg –get-selections | grep -v deinstall > ubuntu-files
2) I backed up my /etc/apt/sources.list (is this even a good idea?)
3) I have /home on a separate partition

Questions
1) Is there anything else I should get off to safety?
2) What do I need to do to save all my compiz settings, etc?
3) I have VMWare Server Installed -- does anyone know how to transfer all those settings? I don't want to have to reactivate my XP install if I don't have to. (need this for my iPhone/iTunes).

As usual -- thanks you guys (and gals!)

-Chow
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jaspmatt

Re: What to Isolate Before Reinstalling?

Post by jaspmatt »

For #2, in the compiz settings manager look under preferences and select export to save your settings to a file, maybe in your /home directory; then merely select import when you get your new installation and choose that file.

Can't help you on #3 as I use VirtualBox over VMware.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

#3) I don't know if VMWare is the same but with Virtual Box I copy the Virtual Hard Drive to a data partition, then copy to the new Linux install.
chowanec
Level 3
Level 3

Post by chowanec »

Thanks. :)

I have to find where VMWare stores those virtual machines... I can never remember where it throws that stuff. :P

Cheers,

Chow

Return to “Installation & Boot”