Mint 6 asks for password during install

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GerryAttrick
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 6 asks for password during install

Post by GerryAttrick »

Currently trying to install Mint 6 on my Acer Laptop.

I reformatted the hard drive and installed WinXP as I needed to install it for a specific purpose.

Have now decided to revert back to Mint 6 KDE.

Inserted the disk - purchased from On-Disk and booted. Everything worked fine up the point where it is now asking me for a User name & Password!!! I have not even entered a login - just put the boot disk in and went to the shop and when I came back there was this login screen? Obviously I have no idea of User Name & Password.

Am I missing something here? Any suggestions on how I move forward from here?

Maybe I should just repartition my hard drive and start again
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Mint 6 asks for password during install

Post by exploder »

Maybe I should just repartition my hard drive and start again
I am not sure what happened but it might be easier to start over. Mint 6 KDE CE should auto log when booted from the Live CD. You can opt to do a mint4win install and install within XP. You do have to choose a password with the mint4win option otherwise it will not install. You can set up to duel boot with Windows too. Just start the install from the Live CD and when you come to the partitioning part of the install move the slider to give each OS the amount of disk space you want each to have.
dafi

Post by dafi »

Hu? Sounds like you havent installed Mint now. You only booted into the live system.
So all your settings will be lost when rebooting or shuting down the system.

If you install Mint then you must also set up a password and an username and Mint will ask for that at the log-in screen.
GerryAttrick
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GerryAttrick »

I wish it were that simple.

There is NO live CD option. I put the DVD in the drive and it automatically installs with no input from me. Finishes with a screen asking for logon and password - which I obviously don't have. :shock:

However I have managed to switch to a terminal screen by selecting another user from the menu which shows:

MINT@MINT~$:

I have used live CDs before and never had any problem just eventually used the install option from the desktop to make the install permanent. This disk seems to be totally different. I can't work out how to get back to the GUI screen with the logon request where I might just try Mint/Mint as the logon and password (just in case). Not really up with operating in terminal mode :?

Have emailed On Disk where I got the disk from but they have not bothered to reply. :roll:

Maybe I'll just download a torrent and burn a fresh disk and see how that goes. I don't feel comfortable having this install on my PC even if I do get it running as I have no idea what other nasties may be lurking
dafi

Post by dafi »

Get the gui back:
Type

Code: Select all

startx
it automatically installs with no input from me.
But thats really very strange...
It installed Mint without asking for user/pw and also NOT asking where to install? :shock:
GerryAttrick
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GerryAttrick »

Exactly...I have never had that happen before.

I even repartioned the hard drive and refomatted it using Gparted and then inserted the Disk and same thing happened.

I have used heaps of other Live CDs and done subsequent installs but this is the first time that I have experienced this problem.

Tried running startx and got the following:

Fatal server Error: Server is already active for display 0
If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.XO-lock and start again.

Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keygiving up.
xinit:Interrupted System call (errno4): unable to connect to x server.
Xinit: No such process(errno3): Server error

MINT@MINT~$

This is getting way outside of my league :?
Fred

Post by Fred »

GerryAttrick,

This sounds like a bad CD to me. I would download from the Mint site and burn the iso at 8X or less, I burn mine at 4X speed. Burn it in a RAW mode, usually listed as SAO, DAO, or TAO.

Fred

Return to “Software & Applications”