SOLVED - Menu button still says Elyssa

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Striker

SOLVED - Menu button still says Elyssa

Post by Striker »

Okay, so I'm a slow upgrader. Today I upgraded from Mint5 to Mint6, but after I was done, the menu button at the bottom left of the screen still says Elyssa. When I installed Felicia I only formatted the root partition, kept my /home folder as is. Any idea what's wrong here?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trident

Re: Menu button still says Elyssa

Post by trident »

Just right-click the menu icon and click Properties, and in that box there is an option to rename the menu.
Striker

SOLVED - Re: Menu button still says Elyssa

Post by Striker »

Just so others don't waste their time, and for any other users who might have this problem, I found the problem/solution.

Go to file: /home/<username>/.gconf/apps/mintMenu/%gconf.xml

Open this file in Text Editor. On line #47 (line number might be different), you'll see this text:

<stringvalue>Elyssa</stringvalue>

Replace "Elyssa" with whatever name you want and it will show up next to the Main Menu icon on the Gnome Panel at the bottom of the screen.

Note: This is a workaround fix. I believe the upgrade scripts should update this file IF the upgrader is NOT formatting his Home directory.

Return to “Installation & Boot”