Running openbox

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Locrian
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Running openbox

Post by Locrian »

well the reason why you arnt getting the openbox menu is because of nautilus, to have openbox as default in your login hit sessions and select openbox.

I tried doing this before but finally gave up on it sense its a lot of trouble and installed the fluxbox community edition, it much better for learning how to think in box.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Here's a thread that might help regarding Nautilus taking over the desktop:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=351744

I use Konqueror instead of Nautilus anyway, so I'm having no problems. I think I read somewhere that when you start up Nautilus it starts up all the GNOME stuff and leads to problems. Refer to the thread above for more info.

Regarding making Openbox the default, I may be misunderstanding your set-up but here when I log into Openbox, I get the option of making it for this session only or making it the default session. What exactly happens when you log in and select Openbox?

As for Locrian's other comments, yes Openbox takes some work to get it set up to your liking, but once it's set up it's beautiful, definitely as cool as Fluxbox, if not better. I have it installed in Mint Elyssa as well as in Ubuntu Hardy. I've used Fluxbox a lot, too, and I love it, but I haven't tried the Fluxbox community edition. I would say keep on working with Openbox until you get it to work as you want, because it's worth the extra effort. And once you've gotten things squared away, if you've kept good notes, it's not so hard at all to do it the second time around. I used my notes from Hardy to install it and set it up in Elyssa, and it things went smoothly.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Here's another web page that might help:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repla ... ithOpenbox

Return to “Beginner Questions”