Mint slows down while playing videos

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Mint slows down while playing videos

Post by Carl »

Need a bit more info like how old the laptop is? what cpu speed? graphics card? type of video e.g: HD or SD maybe the codec x264, xvid... :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RedWagon

Re: Mint slows down while playing videos

Post by RedWagon »

I've had trouble with every Linux distro I've used taking up way to much resources to play a video. I'm pretty sure it's something to do with Compiz, and I don't think there is a fix right now besides to disable compiz when you play video.

Slowing down during video playback is normal, however staying slow after the video is stopped is not. Look in System Monitor and see if you can find a process taking up an abnormal amount of RAM or CPU.

Return to “Beginner Questions”