Share same /home between Mint and Mint KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Share same /home between Mint and Mint KDE

Post by Fornhamfred »

Julian

I find the easiest way to share information between various distros is to have a separate partition for data, I use FAT32 so that the same data is available for Linux and Windows. It is also easy to backup.

Not sure about sharing the home directory but my feeling is that it would not be possible.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Fornhamfred wrote:Julian

I find the easiest way to share information between various distros is to have a separate partition for data, I use FAT32 so that the same data is available for Linux and Windows. It is also easy to backup.

Not sure about sharing the home directory but my feeling is that it would not be possible.
You do realize that most distros now natively read/write to NTFS right? No need to use FAT32 anymore.

You could share the same /home but it would cause all kinds of problems. Better to just create a /data.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Provided the Gnome and KDE are from the same Mint version, you should be fine, if they're not, expect problems. On the other hand, if they're from the same base version (e.g. felicia) then you could just install KDE from gnome, so you can choose which you want when you login rather than when you boot, just install the "mint-meta-kde" package.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

installing the meta package shouldn't cause you any problems, you'll pretty much get what you would from a fresh install, though of course the gnome apps will still be available from kde and vice versa, which may mean you have almost double the apps, because you'll have two apps which do the same thing differently.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

mint-meta-kde installs everything from the KDE CE, including the mint-artwork-kde package you mentioned.
Fred

Post by Fred »

thinkpad761,

I hate to throw stones, but I suspect you are embarked on a lesson in futility. Using the same /home for two different distros is always a touchy setup. The best/safest way is to use two different user names, one for each distro. Even then there can be some conflicts, especially now that KDE 4.* is in use.

Using the same user name is a potential nightmare, depending on the distros, DEs, and program packages involved.

Fred
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

amarok is comming from the amarok ppa repo which is listed in the kde version but not the gnome version.
add to sources.list
## +++ ppa repos +++
# Amarok 2
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-members-kde4/ubuntu intrepid main

this is the kde4 ppa repo used to get a usable kde4 version but this may be in the backports repo now.
## KDE 4.2 (beta)
# deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-experimental/ubuntu intrepid main

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

Return to “Software & Applications”