The frustration of installation!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nicki
Level 3
Level 3

Re: The frustration of installation!

Post by Nicki »

Use Ubuntu or Mint Live-CD and go in to partitionering and delete all (if you have Ubuntu or other Linux installed) except Windows and Recovery partition. First wipe of swap part and then delete. Leave Live session and reboot with Linux Mint 7 and just install. The installer will find the free space and put Mint there. You don't have to made 3 different partitions at first.
This is what I did and it worked very well for me. I have dual boot with Windows now.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

I agree with Nicki on this. It's a "can't miss" method of installing.

You can also use the Vista partitioning tool to delete the partitions you created. Be sure to leave the space as unpartitioned and unallocated free space.
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

It is you, the partitioner works fine. I think you are just missing the custom partitioning option. You never stated why you made a 10 AND a 13 GB partition? If you simply go through the Mint install when you reach the custom partition screen you will be able to delete both of these and simply create one ext3 or 4 partition to put Mint on. 2GB swap is perfect unless you use a laptop which in that case you will want to match your RAM so you can hibernate. Loosen up, take a deep breath and try again. Look at it this way, Ubuntu worked but Mint is simply a polished Ubuntu!
Nicki
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Nicki »

Don't care about swap and /home. Let the installer take care of that, it's the easiest way.
Just use the free space.

Return to “Installation & Boot”