SOLVED GRUB INSTALL

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dobby9

SOLVED GRUB INSTALL

Post by dobby9 »

Reading the installation guide I miss the item if it is possible to write GRUB on a partition .
I like to install Linux mint on sdb3 and install GRUB on sdb3
And add to my existing boot loader the lines

title linux mint
root(hd2,2)
configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst
Will it work

kind regards
dobby9
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AK Dave

Re: GRUB INSTALL

Post by AK Dave »

Last screen of configuration during install, button on the bottom right says "Advanced". Click it. From there you can direct grub to be installed anywhere you want.
RedWagon

Re: GRUB INSTALL

Post by RedWagon »

I used to have an OS installed on sdb but for some reason it wouldn't boot wouldn't work unless I changed hd(1,1) to hd(0,1) though your computer might be different. You'll probably have to guess/check by hitting e in the grub menu and editing the parameters at boot. Once you find something that works, you can change it permanently in your OS.

I would personally just backup your menu.lst file, then run SuperGrub. It's a bootable disk that does a really good job of finding OSs and setting up Grub.
dobby9

Re: SOLVED GRUB INSTALL

Post by dobby9 »

It works ok from SDB
But a have a other issue and I will make a other post

thanks
dobby9

Return to “Beginner Questions”