Laptop inboard mouse problem

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jaspmatt

Re: Laptop inboard mouse problem

Post by jaspmatt »

Does an external USB mouse exhibit the same problem?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

No right click at all, in anything, or no right click on the desktop? If you go to Preferences/Mouse there should be a little lightbulb at the bottom to test your mouse buttons. Test it there. Still no r-clicky?

Pointing device should be configured through xorg.conf
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

I'm irritated at you for starting a second thread on this same subject instead of sticking with the first thread. That will probably carry forth as a high level of sarcasm in this post. My advice to you: don't do that again.

Your touchpad is going to be on usb or ps2, likely ps2, not pci, so lspci is totally useless.

Incidentally, does it occur to you that maybe you're not the first person on the planet to use a Dell D600 and have a touchpad problem? That maybe you're not the first Dell D600 owner to try an Ubuntu derivative and have a touchpad problem? That maybe you're not alone in the universe, that someone else has had problems with a Dell D600 touchpad, and that there might be information specific to your model on the internet? Well, you're in luck! You're not alone!

Lets see what Google says about: "dell d600 touchpad problem"

Here are some choice links:
http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2005/11/15/ ... cs-driver/
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-282174.html
http://www99.epinions.com/review/pr-Del ... 5727976068

First, find out what sort of touchpad you have:

Code: Select all

$cat /proc/bus/input/devices
Likely result: "AlpsPS/2 ALPS Glidepoint"

Now see what xorg.conf says:

$cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Likely result: "Synaptics Touchpad"

ALPS != Synaptics
Ergo, thats a problem!

Relevant xorg.conf sections for an ALPS Glidepoint:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Alps Touchpad"
        Driver          "synaptics"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/event2"
        Option          "Protocol"              "event"
        Option          "HorizScrollDelta"      "0"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Alps Touchpad"
        Driver          "synaptics"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/event2"
        Option          "Protocol"              "event"
        Option "LeftEdge" "120"
        Option "RightEdge" "830"
        Option "TopEdge" "120"
        Option "BottomEdge" "650"
        Option "FingerLow" "14"
        Option "FingerHigh" "15"
        Option "MaxTapTime" "180"
        Option "MaxTapMove" "110"
        Option "ClickTime" "0"
        Option "EmulateMidButtonTime" "75"
        Option "VertScrollDelta" "10"
        Option "HorizScrollDelta" "0"
        Option "MinSpeed" "0.45"
        Option "MaxSpeed" "0.75"
        Option "AccelFactor" "0.020"
        Option "EdgeMotionMinSpeed" "200"
        Option "EdgeMotionMaxSpeed" "200"
        Option "UpDownScrolling" "1"
        Option "CircularScrolling" "0"
        Option "CircScrollDelta" "0.1"
        Option "CircScrollTrigger" "2"
        Option "SHMConfig" "true"
EndSection
Note that I didn't come up with this on my own because I'm some kind of idiot savant. I came up with this because I used Google and found this website!
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

When you did cat /proc/buss/input/devices you had the external mouse plugged in. Didn't you.

Thats why I see:

I: Bus=0017 Vendor=0001 Product=0001 Version=0100
N: Name="Macintosh mouse button emulation"
In addition to:

I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0001 Version=0000
N: Name="PS/2 Generic Mouse"
Please somebody who uses a Mac on a regular basis correct me, but I believe that "Macintosh mouse button emulation" means "one button mouse". Every Mac that I've ever used was a single button mouse. On the basis of this trivia, your computer is attempting to emulate a Mac mouse. Not a PC mouse. And thats why your right click isn't working right.

Here's what I'm thinking you try:
disable the touchpad, use only the external mouse. How to disable it? Reboot to the CMOS screen, and one of the options in there will be to disable it. You might even find other relevant options therein, but I'm not familiar with the CMOS options on a D600. But disable it and use an external mouse. You might need to run this command: "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" and reboot. You should be in good shape then.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

waltermoore wrote:Everything is Generic on my computer, lspci,lsusb and the cat device command doesnt show that I have a apple mouse (personaly not worth getting one, too expensive) the xorg.conf was a copy paste from someone else who has a dell lat. d600. what worked for him/her i thought would work for me.. but apparently not. I was talking to someone whos using another linux distro, a command line (forget the name), and he sent me his xorg file, even that didnt work.
I have done the autoconfiguration commands multiple times, nothing new, nothing happened. still have right click problems
Now I am very well and truly confused:
1. Did you, or did you not, pipe the output of "cat /proc/bus/input/devices" where it showed Name="Macintosh mouse button emulation"? Was that your output, or was that something you copied from someone else? You posted it! Did you read it?
2. Did you, or did you not, pipe the output of "cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf" where it showed Option "Protocol" "PS/2 Emulation"? Was that yours, or did that come from someone else's system also? Again, you posted it!
3. Did you try disabling your touchpad through CMOS as I asked you?
4. Did you have an external mouse plugged in when you did "cat /proc/bus/input/devices"?
5. Did you ever try reconfiguring xserver-xorg AFTER disabling the touchpad?

Walter, there is no such thing as "generic". A Dell D600 is not a discrete simple "generic" item. The same computer could have, and was, built by Dell in more than one way. Your D600 may not be 100% identical to someone else's D600.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

waltermoore wrote:4 -NO USB OR ANY EXTERNAL MOUSE.. only inboard mouse and touchpad.
You have an internal mouse AND a touchpad? I guess I need to see a pic of a D600. Ahh, I see: you have an eraserhead and a touchpad, with separate buttons for each. You should be able to disable one of them via CMOS.

Next time you reboot, you'll have to be quick about this but there will be the option to press some keystroke and get to the settings or setup menu for your laptop. I don't know what keystroke you need to use on a D600.
jaspmatt

Post by jaspmatt »

Google around for the Fn key combinations for your particular laptop. Mine has Fn-F9 to toggle the mousepad on and off.

Return to “Beginner Questions”