Is Mint right for Me

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fred

Re: Is Mint right for Me

Post by Fred »

jdtwyo,

You are in exactly the right place. Mint will fulfill your needs quite nicely. I would recommend the XFCE community edition. It should perform to your expectations.

Fred
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Is Mint right for Me

Post by Aging Technogeek »

I ran Mint 6 main edition on a computer with exactly the specs you list and had no problems except getting sound to work with the DVD player. Mint 7 has solved that.

The only other possible problem would be internet access if you use a usb network adapter,. Some adapters are difficult to set up in Linux due to the lack of proprietary drivers, But this situation is improving almost daily. Mint 7 supports more usb adapters than Mint 6 and if you have built in wireless in a fairly new (4-5 years old) computer, it will probably work out of he box.

Overall, I think you will find LInux Mint is a great choice for your system and requirements.

Return to “Beginner Questions”