webcam in skype?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
calymea
Level 3
Level 3

webcam in skype?

Post by calymea »

Hi all, I have Skype installed and working from the repos. I want to buy a webcam to use with it. Can anyone advise me of one that works in Mint and what I need
to do to set it up for Skype. At the moment from the research I have done so far I am leaning towards some of the Logitech models, but if anyone can advise other good ones I'm open to ideas. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Re: webcam in skype?

Post by Boo »

someone posted about their logitech working with skype but not with any other linux app.
very strange.
he seemed to think logitech was a bad choice.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
calymea
Level 3
Level 3

Post by calymea »

Hi everyone, pleased to report that I have found a webcam that works "out of the box" in Skype. The one I have is the Logitech Quickcam E3500. Just plugged it in and it worked with Skype. Strangely though, I have "Cheese" installed on my computer and it wont work with that, although I have tried it with the Gnome live cd version of PcLinuxoS using "Cheese" and it worked fine. Anyone have any ideas why it works in "Cheese" with PcLinuxOS, but not with Mint In "Cheese"? I am using Mint 5 Elyssa. Thanks.
spmay2162

Post by spmay2162 »

I use Genius Eye Webcam with no probs although a tad dark but works fine,doesnt work well with skype common though, best to install the skype statc version, works great with most cams
kei84

Post by kei84 »

I have a Logicool Qcam Pro and works great OOB with Cheese and Skype-oss (not Skype main instance).

Depending on the resolution that is set in the Cheese configuration it might not work. In this case just change the resolution.

Return to “Beginner Questions”