Need VNC client with copy/paste

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Need VNC client with copy/paste

Post by NiksaVel »

Hey guys... I'm succesfully using the Terminal Server Client program for VNCing among my computers.. but it seems to lack one VERY important function - the copy/paste between computers doesn't work...

Quite often I need to manually retype lengthy URLs and such..

Is there some simple VNC viewer that will make my life easier?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
Husse

Post by Husse »

Hey NiksaVel
I'll play scorp and say: Use google! :)
http://www.google.se/search?q=vnc+copy+ ... =firefox-a
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

not helpful husse.... :evil:

what I've learned is:
You need to run the vncconfig program with no parameters,
then it works...
and I have no idea how to do that....

there's also been mention of freeNX as an alternative to VNC... anyone has any experience with it?
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Need VNC client with copy/paste

Post by scorp123 »

NiksaVel wrote:the copy/paste between computers doesn't work...
Mark stuff with the left mouse button and then just click the middle mouse button in the remote window? Works tip top here :wink:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

NiksaVel wrote:there's also been mention of freeNX as an alternative to VNC... anyone has any experience with it?
Sure :D The speed is awesome, but the setup is drastically more complicated ... :wink:
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

Mark stuff with the left mouse button and then just click the middle mouse button in the remote window? Works tip top here
it doesn't work here for some reason... I can copy paste this way, but not between my comp and the remote comp... it only does local copy/pasting and same on the remote comp... if I press the middle mouse button in the remote window it will not paste the last thing that I marked on my comp, but the last thing I marked on the remote comp...

I am using the built in ubuntu server (vino, I believe) and the Terminal Server Client for viewer...
-Clem
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Hey, you're right ... Linux < > Linux clipboard exchange doesn't work (anymore?). :?

According to what I read that's a "new feature" of RealVNC 4 and onwards. Now you really need to have that "vncconfig" program running or else this will not work. Now that's silly :?
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

This seems to be a bug in vino too? Reported first in 2005?
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... +bug/17606
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Our brethren over at the Ubuntu forums suggest this as solution:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... +clipboard

Return to “Software & Applications”