Gloria - Hangs Up booting on batteries but does OK plugged

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jackf
Level 1
Level 1

Gloria - Hangs Up booting on batteries but does OK plugged

Post by jackf »

I did a Gloria fresh install on my dual boot (Vista Home & Mint Gloria) Dell Vostro 1510 laptop (2 GB RAM) using EXT4. Everything ran perfect while working plugged to a power outlet. I did several restarts, installed several packages, surfed the web, etc. . . . fast and perfectly!
When I restarted my laptop on batteries (not plugged), it does the whole startup process up to the logging screen, at that moment, I can NOT type anything or use the mouse. The only way out is powering OFF, plug in the AC cord and cold start the laptop.

I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions for solving this problem?

Jackf
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jaspmatt

Re: Gloria - Hangs Up booting on batteries but does OK plugged

Post by jaspmatt »

Have you tried adding noacpi to the kernel boot line? That's all I can think of to try off the top of my head.

EDIT: I believe the commands are: acpi=off nolapic
jackf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jackf »

This problem was (auto) solved after booting plugged (of course) and during normal operation, unplugging the bettery charger. In this case I could keep on typing and using the mouse, then I restarted unplugged and the problem has gone.

I think that during my fresh installation (plugged) some autoconfiguration did not work and when I unplugged the cord while working normally it did recognize something missed before. This is my best guess!
jackf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jackf »

Hi Hyperdrive,

What I meant is that now my laptop boots up unplugged (and plugged) perfectly, I can login, use the keyboard and the mouse without any freeze or hang up. Something which were not installed or recognized during the fresh install got fixed when I disconnected the charger while running OK. It self healed.

I hope you can solve your issue this way.

Jackf
jackf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jackf »

Actually, it keeps hanging up erratically. Especially when booting after a shut down, then I have to shut down and power on plugged to an AC outlet.

Have anyone solved this problem?

Jackf
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

jackf wrote:This problem was (auto) solved after booting plugged (of course) and during normal operation, unplugging the bettery charger.
---Hi Hyperdrive,What I meant is that now my laptop boots up unplugged (and plugged) perfectly..
---Actually, it keeps hanging up erratically. Especially when booting after a shut down, then I have to shut down and power on plugged to an AC outlet.
unplugging the bettery charger.
Are you using a UPS system, that might need an interface to the computer to monitor power on shutdown ?

No. but acpi issues are probably the cause for your erratic behavior..
http://tuxmobil.org/apm_linux.html
jackf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jackf »

Follow up:

I booted my Dell Vostro with acpi=off and the system kept hanging up unplugged.

So I decided to fresh install Gloria x64 and POFF!, it did work ok while used as a LIVE CD, but after installation I got
a system that always HANGS UP: plugged and on batteries!

Wait, there is more . . . . Then I did a fesh install of Fedora 11 x64 . . . and . . .

It worked perfectly: GNOME, system utilities, so on but . . . .
if I run Blender and a few other apps. . . the system HANGS UP . . .

Could it be a kernel problem (Gloria)

Any ideas . .

Jackf
jackf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jackf »

One important point is that those apps (like Blender) that Hangs Up the system are due to the problematic i915 video driver otherwise Fedora 11 looks rock solid on my Dell Vostro 1510. Perhaps Fedora 11's use of later and improved linux kernel is why it behaves better than Gloria at least my laptop.

I am a Linux Mint fan and would rather use Gloria than Fedora for several reasons.

Is there anyway to install a later kernel with Gloria? I don't mind going through another fresh install.

Jackf

Return to “Installation & Boot”