Hello, a few questions if I may.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
proxima_centauri

Re: Hello, a few questions if I may.

Post by proxima_centauri »

Hi S3NSA,

1. The microsoft font package can be found in Package manager under msttcorefonts. There are also other installable opensource fonts which I do not know the name of offhand.

2. Don't know.

3. There are different ways of doing it, but If you want to allocate more space to Linux (assuming your Windows partition is first) you will need to first resize that (Windows) partition. Then you can move your Linux partition to the left - and then resize it to the newly created space to the right. Always make a backup of important files when editing the partition. You also need to make these changes from a LiveCD as you should not edit partitions that are currently mounted (in use). An alternative way could also be to resize Windows, alocating 80GB more free space, install Linux MInt again on to that 80GB, then move all your configuration files in /home and personal files to the new Install, then you can just delete the old Mint partition and allocate the free space to the new one.

4. Try adjusting the DPI in Appearance Preferences under Fonts. I am away from a Linux box at the moment but I believe there is a button you need to click in the font tab to open the advanced preferences.

Welcome to the Linux Mint community.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

S3NSA,

About your third question. If you reduce the size of the Vista partition be sure you defragment Vista at least once (twice is better) to compact it as much as possible. Also the preferred way to shrink the Vista partition is with Vista's Disk Management tool. You find it in Administrative Tools => Computer Management => Storage =. Disk Management. On the right side of the window, under Actions => Disk Management => More Actions there is a menu that is accessed by clicking the arrow after More Actions. Select the Windows Partition from the partition diagram, and select More Actions => All Tasks => Shrink Volume.

This is much safer than using Gparted (Partition Editor) from the live CD. I recently killed a Vista install by shrinking it with Gparted although I had applied all the safety factors I knew. Use Windows tools to work on Windows.

About Firefox fonts. You can change the font sizes in firefox by going to Edit=> Preferences=>Content and selecting Advanced under Fonts and Colors.
RedWagon

Post by RedWagon »

Hey, another graphic designer! As for Wine different versions work best for different apps. Go to www.winehq.org and search the App Database for whatever Adobe product you have. The App Database should have everything you need to know to get Photoshop running, however Wine can be very finicky.
There are also some really great open source programs like Gimp and Inkscape. www.osalt.com is a good source for finding open source versions of programs. Just search (for example) Adobe Dreamweaver and it will give you some good web editors to try. I work at a photography studio and have come to prefer Gimp over photoshop for certain things, however there are just some things that I HAVE to have photoshop for.

Just out of curiosity what exactly do you do? Web design, photography, ect... I might be able to recommend some good apps.

Fonts can be installed pretty easily, can't remember off the top of my head though...

As for your disk space issues, let me give you a warning about NTFS. Every partition has a filesystem which determines how information is stored on the hard drive. Windows always uses NTFS which just shoves files in the first available spot and leaves them there. Because of this you can get large gaps of free space in your drive that make it impossible to shrink the partition.

Example NTFS: (d = data, - = empety)
|ddd-----dd-d-dd----d-----------------------d---d-------|

You may have lots of free space, but because of the little bits of data left way out there near the end, you won't be able to shrink it. Some programs will recognize this and stop before it erases stuff, and others will just delete it. Defragging a hard drive will help consolidate your d's, but they rarely do a very good job (in my opinion) but it's better than nothing.

Linux, on the other hand, uses EXT3 which looks like this:
|dddddddddddd--------------------------------------------|

Much better organized, faster, and completely safe to shrink. So, feel free to tweak your Linux partitions without fear, but whenever shrinking an NTFS (Windows) partition be sure to back up anything you aren't prepared to loose. I would recommend Googling around for a specialized Windows partition editor if you plan on shrinking a lot, since some of those will actually move the stray d's in allowing you to shrink more without loosing data. But, no matter what, it's still a risk.
RedWagon

Post by RedWagon »

Oh yeah, try to be more descriptive in your topic titles next time.
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Post by atlef »

2. the program ran fine here, not sure why you couldn't get it to work.

3. Defrag your Vista partition, backup important files, boot the livecd and use Gparted to shrink/grow your partitions.

4. Open Appearance in your menu and go to the Fonts tab and change the size of your fonts there.

atlef.

Return to “Beginner Questions”