Help! Im so lost!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Help! Im so lost!

Post by Carl »

AndersonPhoto wrote:I just recently purchased an HP Mini (80GB HDD). It came with xp and Im trying to install Mint 7 so I can dual boot. The problem is that xp is taking up the whole hard drive in one big partition. I want to "split" the drive with xp and Mint 7. How do I repartition the hdd so I dont lose anything I have already set up in Windows? I have searched the forum but, I really don't know what to look for so I apologize in advance for that. I don't really understand the partitioning step in the installation process of Mint 7. I am a TOTAL newb when it comes to Linux so please be easy on me! :)

Thanks,
Jared
when running the installer from the livecd desktop of Linux Mint 7 it will automatically detect XP and will partition it accordingly although as a "new" user maybe you would find it easier to use mint4win? this allows you to install Linux mint alongside XP like a dual boot but from within XP so it will appear like an application in you start menu but when you reboot it will ask if you want to use mint or XP this is a much more user friendly option if you don't really no what your doing

to use mint4win just put in the install disk while inside xp and follow the prompts :D

I hope that helped and didnt confuse you to much? I'm not very good with explaining things in writing :lol:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RedWagon

Post by RedWagon »

to use mint4win just put in the install disk while inside xp and follow the prompts :D
This is going to be your best option for now, but keep in mind that it will take a slight performance hit for running on NTFS. If you can shrink the XP partition and create a separate EXT3 partition for Linux that would be better, but sometimes shrinking NTFS partitions can be tricky.
hamburn

Post by hamburn »

This is going to be your best option for now,
Don't think so.
I think it's better to use the Gparted tool that comes with the Mint installer. It shows automatically what options you have.
mint4win is only an option to see what Mint can do. But if you really want to work with Mint, use Gparted which shows up in running the normal Mint install process.

Please, before you install Mint let your defrag tool in win xp run one, better two times over your HD. After that set a recovery point in win xp.

Then put in the CD/DVD and run the installer and take the first suggestion in the partition suggestions field from Mint. It's a glitch.

H.
RedWagon

Post by RedWagon »

I didn't think Gparted could handle shrinking an NTFS partition because of the way files get spread everywhere, though it's been quite awhile since I've used Windows at all. If that works, than it is definitely the way to go, just make sure you have everything backed up that you're not prepared to loose (always a good idea before any major changes.)
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhodry »

Here is my strategy when setting up for dual booting with XP for a Linux 'newbie'. Lost count of the number of times I have done this and never (touch wood) lost a byte of data.

First, remember the old stupid but true marketing cliché; "People who fail to plan are in fact planning to fail"!!

Decide how much of your drive space ( Gb) you want to allocate to each op sys, Windows & Linux.

As mentioned above, backup everything of importance to you from your current XP setup. Then do a complete defrag of your XP partition. Then remove the Recycle BIn. Yes remove it. Windows has a habit of locating it in a fixed location on the end of the drive and it does not defrag. After it is gone, re-do the defrag. Then use the XP partition editor software to re-partition the drive; shrinking your XP partition to the size you have planned for and leaving the remaining (internded for Linux) space as empty space. Add back your Recycle Bin on the new sized XP partition. As usual ( :( ), you will have to re-boot as many times as Windows tells you to in this but then you are finished with it. :D

Boot the machine from the Mint 7 Live/Install CD. Follow the install instructions. When it comes to the drive partitioning options, choose to install Mint in the free space on the drive. If you are unsure which option does that for you, choose Manual partitioning and select the free space, set it ext3 mount point / and to be formatted. Don't forget to set a swap space partition if doing manual (having planned how big you want it!!). Allow the Mint install to load Grub bootloader - it will detect Windows XP and place an option on your boot menu for you.

Just DO NOT choose to install using the whole drive and leave your XP ntfs partition alone if in manual mode and you will not destroy anything that is unrecoverable.

The system will then install and finally ask you to re-boot without CD. Wait until it tells you to remove CD and press Enter. When you re-boot, Mint will be the default option in Menu and XP as an option. Choosing XP simply passes control to the boot process you would now be familiar with. If you want to change the defaults that can be done from within Mint later.

Good luck & welcome to the light! :)

Rhodry.
hamburn

Post by hamburn »

I didn't think Gparted could handle shrinking an NTFS partition because of the way files get spread everywhere, though it's been quite awhile since I've used Windows at all.
right, long time not used Gparted, too. today it can. And it is on the CD as a integrated part of the installation process.

I have used it on my first dual install Mint 4 on win XP. Therefore I used it on it's own Live CD, but now it's working from the Mint CD.
hamburn

Post by hamburn »

. If you are unsure which option does that for you, choose Manual partitioning and select the free space, set it ext3 mount point / and to be formatted. Don't forget to set a swap space partition if doing manual (having planned how big you want it!!).
@rhodry

:lol: that is Gparted :lol:

and it's easier for a Newbie to take the first suggestion, without doing the manually partitioning work.
hamburn

Post by hamburn »

The only issue that I can see at all is that I have no sound? Any ideas on that?
Have you pushed the sound button of your computer?
pluraldave

Post by pluraldave »

AndersonPhoto wrote:Gparted did the trick! The only issue that I can see at all is that I have no sound? Any ideas on that? You guys have been extremely helpful and I really appreciate your help! I am quickly understanding the attraction to Linux!
Whenever you post a problem on this forum we need you to provide us with more information or we will be as clueless as you are ;):

1. Which version of Mint you are running. 5 / 6 / 7
2. Which edition you chose: (Gnome=main) Gnome 32 bit / Gnome 64 bit / KDE / XCFE / Fluxbox
3: If you used mint4win or installed Mint properly.
4. Some basic information about your hardware (If appropriate). Processor speed and the amount of RAM you have might be important (depending on the problem) but what we're also after is a couple of hardware lists you can get from the terminal. Open up a terminal and type in the commands

Code: Select all

lspci
and

Code: Select all

lsusb
one at a time and copy and paste (highlight the text to copy then centre click to paste) the results into your post. Those are lowercase L's in the command, not uppercase I's.

5. More information about your problem. How have you tested the problem, what have you done to try to fix it? In this case does sound never work? Have you tried playing music from a CD, playing a digital audio file, watching a film, or a flash video on the internet?
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Found in another recent thread.
altair4 wrote:
Intel graphics and sound (82801G - ICH7 family)
There seems to be a problem with the Intel integrated sound hardware. Look at the following forum page for some possible fixes: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=26259

I have the 82801H and have posted a fix in the above referenced forum. I don't know how different the "G" is from the "H" so it might work, but there is also a possible fix closer to your hardware in that post.
Please make sure to read all, and Husse's advice at the end is always worth reading / heeding! :D

Hope this helps,
regards, Richard
hamburn

Post by hamburn »

Have you taken out the plug for the headphones? :)

I once had it. No sound. So I shoved the master to 100%. Only a small sound on the left side. And there where my headphones. Had forgotten to take them out. :oops:

Return to “Beginner Questions”