Adding repositories

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jlbr

Adding repositories

Post by jlbr »

Hello,
While I am not completely new to linux since I used Ubuntu for about a year, I am new to Mint, and one thing I can figure out when compared to Ubuntu, is how to add repositories. I mean, there is no Software Sources app in Mint, am I right?

Could anybody give me some pointers on this one?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RedWagon

Re: Adding repositories

Post by RedWagon »

You should still have Synaptic in Mint (not sure about 7) but my favorite way is just through the command line.
sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
then just paste the repo address at the bottom. You can replace gedit with any other text editor (vi, nano, abiword etc.)
jlbr

Post by jlbr »

Great tip.

Thanks!
jlbr

Post by jlbr »

Sorry, now I have another question, how do I add the public keys??

Thanks.
jlbr

Post by jlbr »

I've been reading some threads about adding keys, it looks complicated...

Help?
RedWagon

Post by RedWagon »

It's been awhile since I've added any repos, but I remember looking though the tutorials and thinking this was a lot harder than it should be then I found apt-key. I'm pretty sure
sudo apt-key add [filename]
will take care if it.
spet

Post by spet »

jlbr wrote:I've been reading some threads about adding keys, it looks complicated...
It may look complicated, but it really isn't. Check out this post I posted recently. Good luck :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”