"No root file system is defined" with Live CD (SOLVED)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lilarcor

"No root file system is defined" with Live CD (SOLVED)

Post by Lilarcor »

Hi,

I have WinXp installed. After weeks of trying out the wubi install of Linux Mint, I'm ready for a true Linux experience. After uninstalling wubi Linux Mint, I ran the Live CD. However, I encountered a problem with partitioning. No disks or partitions would show up :

"No root file system is defined. Please correct this form the partitioning menu."

I want to install Linux on sda5 and I don't want to lose my WinXP (sda1) and my data (sda6). Below is an image my partions with partition editor. Can anyone help me?

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
markcynt

Re: "No root file system is defined" with Live CD

Post by markcynt »

When you get to the partitioner portion of the installer, you need to set the mount point as /

You should see where it says Mount point, click the arrow and choose /

You should also create a swap partition. I usually make the swap 4GB. I have 2GB RAM installed.
Lilarcor

Post by Lilarcor »

That's the problem. When come to the partition window, it's empty. If I click forward, it says:

"No root file system is defined. Please correct this form the partitioning menu."

Any ideas? Thanks.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

Try this:

Boot to the Live CD, don't install, start the partition editor, delete the sda5 partition.

Reboot to the Live CD, start the install, when you get to the partitioner choose "Guided, Use largest Free Space" and you will get what you want automatically.
Lilarcor

Post by Lilarcor »

With the Live CD, I couldn't delete the sda5 partition, the "delete" was grayed out. In fact, a lot of things were grayed out in the partition editor: new, delete, etc.

However, I load up another Live CD, Xubuntu, and all these options were available. I manage to delete sda5 and after a reboot with Linux Mint Live CD, this time,the partitions were available. No less than 15 minutes later, Linux Mint was up and running!

I think it would have worked with GParted Live CD, but I didn't have this.

Thank you markcynt for your assistance!

Lilarcor

Return to “Beginner Questions”