VLC in Gloria has two windows?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
trident

VLC in Gloria has two windows?

Post by trident »

I've always preferred VLC to Totem and Mplayer, and am more used to it from when I used it in Windows, so one of the first things I did when I got Mint 7 working was to install it from the featured apps in MintInstall. However, it's behaving differently to on other distributions. When I load a video (.avi and .mpg), instead of having the video and controls in one window, I get a separate "XVideo Output" window with the video in, and the normal window only has the controls. So I end up with an MPlayer-style 2-window setup which I don't much like. Is this normal for the version in Gloria's MintInstall, or am I doing something wrong? I'm using fglrx (blech) and Compiz, although disabling desktop effects doesn't seem to make any difference.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: VLC in Gloria has two windows?

Post by proxima_centauri »

It's been a bug in VLC for a while now. In the meantime i switched to SMplayer, which satisfies my movie playing needs - probably wont go back to VLC.
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

I'll 2nd SMPlayer. The interface is much nicer, and easy to use. The only downside to SMPlayer is no support for DVD menus.
trident

Post by trident »

I tried it, and it looks nice, but crashes the computer in full screen mode. Then again, Xine, VLC and Totem all seem to do that too (and MPlayer/GNOME Mplayer won't even go full-screen properly) so I suspect another fglrx issue...
kei84

Post by kei84 »

About this VLC bug, it looks like it will only be fixed with the release of 1.0 version.

Return to “Software & Applications”