Win 7 Beta

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ythe1300
Level 1
Level 1

Win 7 Beta

Post by ythe1300 »

Hey guys I'm giving mint4win a try in the windows 7 beta I'll let you know how it goes, but it seems like it will work fine. ( Which it should because I don't think they did much between 7 and Vista....)

Phil
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
revdjenk

Re: Win 7 Beta

Post by revdjenk »

ythe1300 wrote:...I don't think they did much between 7 and Vista....
except require another 3gb of hdd space?! hee hee
MatchStickMen

Post by MatchStickMen »

I tried Windows 7, after a hour I formated the HD. So much for another Viska
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

I have always assumed that Win7 would just be a 'polished version" of Vista AKA : SP2. :)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
revdjenk

Post by revdjenk »

"Polished" or not...it still has all the vulnerabilities and sensibilities of MS...you purchase a license...and you then you must work at protecting, maintaining "their" software!

God Bless
Doug
Fred

Post by Fred »

I have a question for you guys. Do you think Win 7 is going to be any better than Vista? Or is it going to be just another flop for Windows users?

Fred
MatchStickMen

Post by MatchStickMen »

Fred wrote:I have a question for you guys. Do you think Win 7 is going to be any better than Vista? Or is it going to be just another flop for Windows users?

Fred
I really think it will be a flop, it is slow as vista. They should have redone XP with a new face..
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I have a question for you guys. Do you think Win 7 is going to be any better than Vista? Or is it going to be just another flop for Windows users?

Fred
It is better than Vista as far as memory use but the security model is still the same, (asks your permission for everything). Win 7 does not have much going for it, "out of the box". In some ways the new release will be better received but it doesn't really offer much considering the cost. Comparing Windows 7 to Vista is like comparing Windows 95 to 98, most felt it should have been a free update for a bug filled release. I can't think of anyone off hand that will spend the money on Windows 7 with the economy being so bad right now.
revdjenk

Post by revdjenk »

matchstickmen,

unlike other reviewers who for the most part say it is faster than vista, you say the opposite...have you run it, tested it, timed it? I have no interest in getting win7, just want to know how, who to trust for future reviews!
However, some of the reviewers I have read/heard, like Leo Laporte, realize that win7 beta did not have any of the famous extras which MS and vendors add to the os...so they are expecting a general slower experience with the real release..

God Bless
Doug
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Well I made mint4win and tested it in Win 7.
It works fine and haven't had one problem.
Also Win 7 is faster than my Vista and XP install.
@matchstickmen maybe you need to clean your system out of all the dust build up.
I actually like Win 7 better than vista and xp.
jwedekin

Post by jwedekin »

Yeah...

I don't know what you guys are talking about. Windows 7 is a tremendous improvement over any Windows OS. It even runs on my Acer One netbook smoothly. Boots and loads programs much faster than XP SP3 did. (And it is half the size of Vista).

That being said, it is still a mystery as to how it works...so it's a virtual nightmare for people who like to add custom code to their OS. And if you do have an issue, you still have to wait for MS to come up with a fix (assuming that they do).

I would rather use Linux Mint 7 as my primary OS. All I am missing is a handful of software titles. Actually, I do run Linux Mint as my primary OS-I need a few titles to get rid of my Secondary OS (Windows).
ebaut

Post by ebaut »

ythe1300 wrote:( Which it should because I don't think they did much between 7 and Vista....)

Phil
win 7 = win xp + KDE

:)
fearedbliss

Post by fearedbliss »

Fred wrote:I have a question for you guys. Do you think Win 7 is going to be any better than Vista? Or is it going to be just another flop for Windows users?

Fred
I've been using Windows 7 since Build 7000. It's definitely a improvement over Vista. I believe it is Vista V2 (The polished version), AFAIK I'm not buying it and I actually switched my primary OS to Linux Mint today :). I feel very happy and very free ATST (at the same time).
flintstone

Post by flintstone »

I have Mint on one hard drive (I started with Mint 4, went on to 5,6,7), and Windows 7 64 bit on another....beta, and now the RC . Windows 7 is very nice...the best yet by far, and like it a lot. My wife has Vista and I had XP pro before the Windows 7 beta install a few months back.

That said, why pay big money for Windows 7, when you can have something just as nice....for free :mrgreen:
Rovanion

Post by Rovanion »

Windows 7, well actually it is Windows version 6.1, is Vista but they actually did some changes to usability compared to the changes between XP and Vista. They added the Mac OSX dock and windowmanangement from Compiz.

Anyways before you do anything else I'd like you to watch the short film that's linked in this article. It showcases how stupidly darn easy it is to give your viruses root privileges in Win6.1. Now this in most cases would not be a problem since it's a Release Candidate and Microsoft got more than enough time to change this until the final release. But the problem is that Microsoft does not see this as a security flaw. It is not a problem to them. And that is why Windows is so insecure as it actually is.

Oh, and the article with the linked video: http://www.osnews.com/story/21499/Why_W ... s_Insecure
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Fred wrote:I have a question for you guys. Do you think Win 7 is going to be any better than Vista? Or is it going to be just another flop for Windows users?Fred
I think it will, but I am not a customer so that won't count
They are getting their usual positive market spins, about how this version...
  • Fixes Vista flaws
    Improves the user experience
    Is faster (than Vista)
    Will be offered as an upgrade
    --so vendors won't be offering a Vista downgrade for new computers, as they did for Vista pre-installs
--the fans who were disappointed with Vista and some of its features, like UAC
http://www.informationweek.com/blog/mai ... SCJUNN2JVN
http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2 ... 7s-uac.ars

Maybe resistance isn't so futile after all..
Microsoft's latent emphasis on security with UAC in Vista was their belated attempt to address their shortsightedness within their OS
--too bad they didn't train their users beforehand, they might have had less user resistance

The Christmas or back to school buying season..
They have oh, a little over 6 months to fix any immediate bugs/issues, but as we tend to know, Microsoft does not release only when ready, like Debian, but rather as soon as possible (to match our business plans) for product cycle releases
--and fix after sold..
ZekeMenuar

Post by ZekeMenuar »

I'll cut to the chase.

I really like Windows 7 RC. No muss, no fuss, no drama and most important, no BSOD. Not once.
The 64bit version is the greatest. My computer does what I want, when I want. It's boringly reliable. I never thought I'd ever say that about any version of Windows.
I have already reserved a copy for my wife's laptop. I'll be getting a full copy as soon as I can afford it.

I'll continue to use Mint 7 x64 for most of my computing. Mint is great when I'm running the laptop by itself or when I'm out of the house running on batteries.

But I use Windows 7 for dual monitor setups, watching movies and anything that involves lots of graphics.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

ZekeMenuar wrote:I'll cut to the chase.
I really like Windows 7 RC. No muss, no fuss, no drama and most important, no BSOD. Not once.
But I use Windows 7 for dual monitor setups, watching movies and anything that involves lots of graphics.
I haven't had a BSOD for years on windows XP, but then I don't keep adding/removing software or hardware of unknown origin, or just to see if it works..
--well OK sometimes with Microsoft updates/patches..

I use Windows 7 for dual monitor setups, watching movies and anything that involves lots of graphics
And here I thought that was what Linux was for..

Just as a business case; We can't really call Vista a failure, disappointing, yes, but not necessarily a failure..
ZekeMenuar

Post by ZekeMenuar »

DrHu wrote: And here I thought that was what Linux was for..
My laptop has the dreaded Intel 965 chipset. I downloaded the Intel driver from the Mint Package Manager.
Mint 64 still doesn't play well with Google Earth and some streaming websites.
When faced with dual monitors, ie my 19" external monitor and the laptop's 15.4" monitor, Mint barely stays stable. Any use of more than one browser window and Mint will freeze up or just plain crash. No such problems when using Windows 7.

I understand that the issue with Intel chipsets will be addressed in October? So I will wait patiently.

ZM
mercurio2054
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mercurio2054 »

Fred
i think will be much better. (English is not my native lang)
like others say, the system will have all the vulnerabilities form all windows but i think will be more stable and fast.

Return to “Installation & Boot”